How do I download a Kilotogo route to my Garmin 705 ?

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
Hi

So far I've only ever used my Garmin for recording my rides really and as I'm doing the Tour of the Peak this weekend I thought I should try and download the route to my Garmin 705 but I've not much idea how to do it :oops: .
Can some kind soul show me a link to some instructions please or if it's easier reply on here ?
It's the 98 miler in the link below

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=64

Many thanks
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Download the route, head to http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do?language=en, then convert to TCX course, then you have a breadcrumb trail to follow (mine is normally a little pink line)
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    test it before hand - I normally plan my routes on ridewithgps, its really good, gives you all the instructions if you can transfer a map over.
  • galatzo
    Still confused :oops:
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Galatzo wrote:
    Still confused :oops:

Download the gpx file from the site, place it in the gpx folder on your device, job done.

OK, so how do I get the file on my GPS?

To put a GPX file on your Edge 605 or Edge 705, export the desired file from our site. Once you have the file saved on your computer (remember where you saved it, whether that's the desktop or downloads folder or wherever), you can transfer it to the Garmin. Every computer is different, but the general idea is that the Edge 605/705 acts like a USB thumb drive. Plugging it into your computer should allow you to view the files stored on the unit. Once you have it plugged in, open up the "drive" associated with the GPS unit, then open the "Garmin" folder inside the drive. You'll now see a list of several files/folders. One of the folders is called "GPX" - if it doesn't exist you may need to create it. You should copy (drag the icon) the file to this folder. If you are transferring a TCX file, you will place it in the Courses folder (which is also found under the root Garmin folder). Once done, safely remove the GPS unit. "Safely remove" means follow your systems instructions for removing a USB flash drive. This, on Windows systems, is usually done by clicking the remove hardware icon in the lower right corner of the screen, next to the clock. On OS X, you can eject the device from the Finder to accomplish this.

Once the file is transferred to the Edge and the Edge is safely removed from the computer, power the device up. If you placed a GPX file in the Garmin/GPX folder, you will find it on your device under Menu - Where To? - Saved Rides. If you placed a TCX file in the Garmin/Courses folder, you will find your route under Menu - Training - Courses. From there it should be fairly self explanatory. Please practice navigating a route with something simple, around your neighborhood, and don't try to do this the first time before a big ride with friends.
  • galatzo
    Cheers
    I'll try it later after work and report back.

Thanks
  • galatzo
    Thanks Freezing77
    It's on there now.
    Menu when enter is pressed gives Navigate, Map Setup, Copy to Card and Delete.
    Any tips or advice on what these all do (except delete of course !) ?
    Assume the Navigate option will give turn by turn directions to for the Tour of the Peak which I would like to try in conjunction with the signs on the route ? Can this be used if I use the Garmin in my normal way to record my normal data, speed, HR, Cadence etc and would it do this ok and just not map the ride as I am following a pre-planned route ?
    Map Setup ? No idea and scared to press it to find out.
    Copy to card ? Does that save it to the memory card with the maps on that I HAD to buy ? !

Thanks again
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    The garmin will record your activity at the same time as you follow a pre plannedroute.

In depth review of the 705 here

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/12/garmin-edge-705-review.html