Tour de Suisse - boring ?

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Every year this comes along and for some reason when I look at the parcours it just doesn't do anything for me. Considering the possibilities that exist in Switzerland it never ceases to amaze me that they can't provide a race that I can't wait to watch (sorry, too many negatives).

Given that it's supposed to be a warm up for the TdF why does it always seem to be the poor relative of the Dauphine ?

Am I missing something ?

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    No, i'm the same. Never seem to have as much enthusiasm for this as for the Dauphine, think it's because the Dauphine feels like a teaser for the Tour and the roads and the climbs are often a bit more well known and interesting. The TdS just feels a little cold and lacking in character, it's not rational as often the racing is no better at the Dauphine.

RR and I discussed in detail on twitter and we've decided that the main issue though, is the lack of cuddly CL lions for the winners.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    No, i'm the same. Never seem to have as much enthusiasm for this as for the Dauphine, think it's because the Dauphine feels like a teaser for the Tour and the roads and the climbs are often a bit more well known and interesting. The TdS just feels a little cold and lacking in character, it's not rational as often the racing is no better at the Dauphine.

RR and I discussed in detail on twitter and we've decided that the main issue though, is the lack of cuddly CL lions for the winners.

Plus the absence of the Badger - he really is guaranteed to make a podium presentation a proper event
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Of course it's boring. It's in Switzerland. Switzerland is boring

Similarly the Tour de France is arrogant and thinks it's so much better than the other Tours, the Vuelta tends to fall asleep most of the day, the Tour of Poland is like other Tours but costs half as much, the Tour Down Under is completely lacking in history and the Giro probably claims it lives in Monaco but really hasn't moved out of it's mother's spare room.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    RichN95 wrote:
    Of course it's boring. It's in Switzerland. Switzerland is boring

Similarly the Tour de France is arrogant and thinks it's so much better than the other Tours, the Vuelta tends to fall asleep most of the day, the Tour of Poland is like other Tours but costs half as much, the Tour Down Under is completely lacking in history and the Giro probably claims it lives in Monaco but really hasn't moved out of it's mother's spare room.

I think we have Post Of The Day.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I should have added the Tour of Britain - not nearly as important as it thinks it is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    RichN95 wrote:
    I should have added the Tour of Britain - not nearly as important as it thinks it is.

Tour of where ??? :wink:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    The fact that the most memorable passage of any TdS in the last 10 years was a descent says it all.

Strava is not Zen.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    Of course it's boring. It's in Switzerland. Switzerland is boring.

Harsh

switzerland2.jpg

Zermatt_2385008b.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    I've met plenty of very attractive women who were incredibly boring.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I've met plenty of very attractive women who were incredibly boring.

This is a lie.

:wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    RichN95 wrote:
    Of course it's boring. It's in Switzerland. Switzerland is boring.

Harsh

But fair.
  • inkyfingers
    No lie, I have met lots of beautiful women, the problem is that none of them ever seemed to want to talk to me.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    And the Eneco Tour, so dull you forget it even exists.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Are Sky riding? Ok.

It has lovely scenery. Also brings to mind this stage when everyone shoots down Gesink:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8q9tWp3OY
    Class.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Are Sky riding? Ok.

It has lovely scenery. Also brings to mind this stage when everyone shoots down Gesink:
    Class.

Think you posted the wrong youtube link Frenchie...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

What? Oh THAT race. Tour of Denmark is also yawn-inducing.
  • above_the_cows
    edited May 2013

What? Oh THAT race. Tour of Denmark is also yawn-inducing.

The Tour of Denmark needs one or all of the following: a good murder, some knitwear, attractive light fittings, then it would be a must watch. :wink:

But alas no amount of sexing up can save the Eneco Tour of the Benelux. Not even cuddly lions and/or The Badger.
  • frenchfighter
    Are Sky riding? Ok.

Class.

Think you posted the wrong youtube link Frenchie...

Tks,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrlGZZQHIU4
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    when everyone shoots down Gesink:

you mean when people say he should take a pay cut?
  • frenchfighter
    For GT placing purposes yes.

For fan excitement no. For one day races no.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    The Tour de Suisse is one stage short of two, back-to-back Tour de Romandie.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    dsoutar wrote:
    Given that it's supposed to be a warm up for the TdF why does it always seem to be the poor relative of the Dauphine ?
    I think it’s simply because for decades the Dauphine has been considered as the French/International main run-up race to the Tour, and it has still retained this aura, partly by (only in the last decade) always making sure it incorporates in its route some of the forthcoming TdF.

In the past, many riders did the Midi-Libre in May, then the Dauphine Libere in June. The Midi-Libre winner often indicated who might be a main challenger for the TdF, while the Dauphine winner often indicated who would be a hot favourite. This was particularly true in the Merckx-Hinault years but also in the decade before Merckx and the one after Hinault.

By comparison, the Tour de Suisse winner was always more likely to be either someone who might be a GT challenger or winner in a couple of years hence (Garzelli), or a rider who had managed top placings in GTs but never would ever win one (Zulle).

In profile, I think the Tour de Suisse is often like a shorter version of the Giro, while the Dauphine is more like an 'essential parts' of the the TdF - just mountains and TT, none of the flat/mildly hilly bits.
  • knedlicky
    dsoutar wrote:
    Considering the possibilities that exist in Switzerland it never ceases to amaze me that they can't provide a race that I can't wait to watch
    I don’t know what possibilities you have in mind, but overall Switzerland is (perhaps surprisingly to some) less mountainous than the Dauphine area of France, so accordingly it wouldn’t be right to make the whole tour a series of stages over famous Swiss mountain passes.

This year the route does include the Nufenen, Albula and Julier passes, all of which are high if none as exciting cycling-wise/landscape-wise as some other passes. Although the Albula is nicely placed towards a stage end.

I think the climb at the end of stage 3 could be interesting/decisive in the overall GC and stage 6 interesting for a break. The TT (the first half is flat, second half a real hill-climb, at 10%) could be very interesting too.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I'm not normally a fan of this race, but loved this stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGcSXf4x04
  • knedlicky
    But what you get in Switzerland is bigger, more colourful, more intriguing, and probably more fun than a cuddly lion.

8893778824_cb973ea59e_o.jpg
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    thats one f***** up ventriloquists dummy
  • frenchfighter
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Always worth another watch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    knedlicky wrote:

By comparison, the Tour de Suisse winner was always more likely to be either someone who might be a GT challenger or winner in a couple of years hence (Garzelli), or a rider who had managed top placings in GTs but never would ever win one (Zulle).

Far be it for me to defend Zulle, but he is a double GT winner (the Vuelta in 96 and 97).
  • inkyfingers
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Always worth another watch.

I remember watching that live , just sitting there mesmerised. Extremely good work by the camera motos to properly capture it.

Always felt Cunego deserved to win that race, was sad to see him get crushed by the Leipheimer express in the TT.
  • above_the_cows
    knedlicky wrote:
    8893778824_cb973ea59e_o.jpg

What in god's name *is* that? Is it meant to be a cat?