SRAM Rival cassette size

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
any tips on the biggest cassette I can run on SRAM Rival - the ~PG1070 goes up to 32t but I believe that I may need an APEX med/long cage to run something that big.

currently on a 53/39 - 11/26 set up.
Heading to the Alps this summer and need all the help I can get. Cheers.

Comments

• jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have a long cage rival rear mech on my commuter with a 11 - 32 cassette - I believe that you can also get a long cage Sram red as well. You will need a longer chain too though.
  • Redhog14
    Yeah trying to avoid the extra expense of replacing the rear mech... so can I assume that I can run a 28t on a standard mech?
  • Callum_62
    Callum_62 Posts: 28
    I have the short cage rival rear mech and switch between an 11-25 and a 12-27 depending on the terrain. From my experience I don't think there would be any problem running a 28, maybe even a 30 - but no larger.

I'm not sure the rival cassette comes in a 12-28? For what it's worth, I found my 12-27 to be perfectly adequate for Alpe d'Huez last year
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What climbs are you doing ? I've done the Alpe on 39*26 but needed a compact for the climbs up round the Stelvio. The climbs werent much steeper - but much much longer.

How much do you weigh ? I think thats the easiest thing to improve. If you've any to spare - shed some pounds - best improvement you can make to your performance.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I run 11-28 cassettes on Rival and Apex set ups, both with the standard short cage rear mechs. Seems a good range to me, though I've never gone near the alps with either bike. If I did though, I'm not sure I'd change from my 11-28....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Redhog14
    cougie wrote:

How much do you weigh ? I think thats the easiest thing to improve. If you've any to spare - shed some pounds - best improvement you can make to your performance.

How rude! :D

Not much hope of losing weight, only 11.5st
    -planning to do Col de la Madeleine and the Croix De Fry.

Just looking for assistance really not planning on setting a record or anything.

Will get the 28t. Cheers.