ban cyclists from roads

TomOdell
TomOdell Posts: 33
edited June 2013 in Road general
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35274

is it just me, or do some people not deserve to use the internet ?
it's just so damn uninformed, stupid, opinionated etc etc

Comments

• Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    A grand total of 32 signatures. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • TomOdell

i can picture the guy sitting at his computer like this:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IfDTxOjBsPE/U ... hands.jpeg

because of the 32 people who agree with him.
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    What to say about that?! :roll: :lol: :shock:

It's only four days old, plenty of time for more signatures.

Counterpoints:

1. Then they're also not wide enough to support on street parking or those motorists who choose to pull in at inconvenient moments/spots, something that seems to regularly cause more issues than cyclists.
    2. You pay vehicle excise duty, road tax doesn't exist. Does this even need a response? Maybe do some research on the subject you're petitioning about or gain some intelligence beforehand.
    3. If this applies to cyclists then it equally applies to motorists, plenty of whom I see swerving/drifting. It's a vague generalisation anyway. Sure there are some cyclists whose bike handling skills could be better, but there are also things like glass, grids, potholes, debris which if cycled over could be more dangerous for all road users than if a cyclist avoids them and comes out into the road slightly.
    4. That's the choice of the cyclist, if they're injured because they choose not to then it's on them...can see the issue though if the cyclist tries to impart blame onto an innocent driver.
    5. Well, no, not all of it because bikes aren't motor vehicles, just the sections on CYCLING!
    6. Plenty of car drivers don't have insurance either.
    7. Good cyclists will be aware of road conditions and change to single file when necessary. And anyway some motorists talk on their mobile/eat & drink/smoke while driving - much more hazardous.
    8. There's a huge size difference between something a few inches wide like a bike and something a few feet wide like a car.
  • righty_ho
    righty_ho Posts: 7
    Just a quick quote from the Highway code to nullify a couple of Mr Guthrie's points (Not having to obey the Highway code and riding two abreast)

Highway Code
    Rule 66
    You should;

Never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

People like the Mr Guthrie are best ignored and left to their own devices.... not worth the hassle.
  • I cycle for leisure. I cause unnecessary delays whilst using the roads as a play park whilst at the same time unnecessarily endangering myself and others, especially if I pick the wrong time and place.

Not palatable, but completely true.
    Mangeur
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    TomOdell wrote:
    s it just me, or do some people not deserve to use the internet ?

Not just you, there are 32 other people who shouldn't be using the internet, I have no idea whether you should be using it, post some more of these gems, we will see how it goes before making a decision :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Maybe there should be an e-petition to stop James Gutherie using the Internet? I bet it gets more signatories than his.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    haha

1) Our roads aren't wide enough to safely support cyclists. When we overtake we're forced to use the wrong side of the road.
    - So, that's the way you have to overtake all vehicles, our roads are more than wide enough.

2) Cyclists don't pay road tax.
    - Neither do car drivers
    3) Most can't cycle in a straight line.
    - What? LMAO
    4) A lot don't wear any helmets.
    - So?
    5) Cyclists don't have to obey the Highway Code.
    - Not true.
    6) Cyclists have no insurance so if a cyclist damages a car the owner will likely have no compensation.
    - I have insurance
    7) Some cycle double-abreast, creating an even greater hazard.
    - Again, so what?
    8) They are a danger to themselves and drivers as they can't keep up with a decent road speed. If a car was caught by Police travelling at a cycle's speed the driver would be fined for obstructing others and/or dangerous driving.
    - Not true.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    In fairness he has a point. Every single road in the UK should have to have a dedicated cycle lane at considerable public expanse. Especially the narrow roads where the Govt would have to purchase the adjacent land to do so. Think of the economic benefits to the country of Mr Guthrie arriving at his next traffic jam 5 seconds earlier.

Jimmy Saville was a cyclist. 'Nuff said!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    haha

1) Our roads aren't wide enough to safely support cyclists. When we overtake we're forced to use the wrong side of the road.
    - So, that's the way you have to overtake all vehicles, our roads are more than wide enough.

I was going to say the same.

Presumably this
    can't keep up with a decent road speed
    also means that we ban tractors, horses, pedestrians, caravans, low powered motorbikes and my old, underpowered Vauxhall Corsa from the road as well...
  • StillGoing
    GiantMike wrote:
    In fairness he has a point. Every single road in the UK should have to have a dedicated cycle lane at considerable public expanse. Especially the narrow roads where the Govt would have to purchase the adjacent land to do so. Think of the economic benefits to the country of Mr Guthrie arriving at his next traffic jam 5 seconds earlier.

Jimmy Saville was a cyclist. 'Nuff said!

A cycle lane so some idiot car driver could park in it and road maintenance could sweep all the crap in to it giving us an even greater chance of punctures?

WTF has Jimmy Savile got to do with it? He also drove a gas guzzling RR, smoked cigars, had rotten teeth and liked to fiddle with kids.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    philthy3 wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    In fairness he has a point. :? Every single road in the UK should have to have a dedicated cycle lane at considerable public expanse. :roll: Especially the narrow roads where the Govt would have to purchase the adjacent land to do so. :wink: Think of the economic benefits to the country of Mr Guthrie arriving at his next traffic jam 5 seconds earlier. :shock:

Jimmy Saville was a cyclist. :shock: 'Nuff said!

A cycle lane so some idiot car driver could park in it and road maintenance could sweep all the crap in to it giving us an even greater chance of punctures?

WTF has Jimmy Savile got to do with it? He also drove a gas guzzling RR, smoked cigars, had rotten teeth and liked to fiddle with kids.

Sorry Phil, I forgot you struggled sometimes. I've added emoticons for the hard-of-thinking. Let me know if you need any more.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I can envisage those who would instigate or sign such a petition:

1 balding
    2 red faced
    3 big gut sitting over waistband
    4 big jowls of fat on face
    5 double chinned
    6 high blood pressure
    7 stressed out
    8 impatient
    9 desperately in need of a holiday

welcome to living in the UK in 2013
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • StillGoing
    GiantMike wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    In fairness he has a point. :? Every single road in the UK should have to have a dedicated cycle lane at considerable public expanse. :roll: Especially the narrow roads where the Govt would have to purchase the adjacent land to do so. :wink: Think of the economic benefits to the country of Mr Guthrie arriving at his next traffic jam 5 seconds earlier. :shock:

Jimmy Saville was a cyclist. :shock: 'Nuff said!

Sorry Phil, I forgot you struggled sometimes. I've added emoticons for the hard-of-thinking. Let me know if you need any more.

Good man. :D
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Hmmm... I was willing to shrug this off until I read:
    In closing, removing cyclists from our roads and building many more cycle paths would keep pedestrians, cyclists and drivers safe and happy and we petition our Government to make it so.

Now there's something I can get behind.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,535
    Raffles wrote:

1 balding
    2 red faced
    5 double chinned
    6 high blood pressure
    7 stressed out
    8 impatient

10 unable to ride a bike/very wobbly

Every time they see a cyclist they are reminded of their dad who wasn't there to teach them to ride a bike
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pete_s wrote:
    building many more cycle paths would keep pedestrians, cyclists and drivers safe and happy and we petition our Government to make it so.

Now there's something I can get behind.[/quote]

hmm - not sure I agree totally - I'd prefer drivers to be a little more attentive, give cyclists room and not be so impatient. On the flipside, I'd prefer cyclists to be a little more tolerant and understanding to drivers ...

and overall - just less traffic on the roads
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    you can just imagine redfaced, angry, baldy fat bob behind the wheel of his X5 mouthing at cyclists whilst he putters along the roads
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Raffles wrote:

1 balding
    2 red faced
    5 double chinned
    6 high blood pressure
    7 stressed out
    8 impatient

Hey... I fit 1,2 whilst going up hill, 7 and 9 and have no intention of signing it! :shock:
    What have I done? :(
  • TomOdell
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Obvious troll is obvious.

are you saying i'm trolling or the petition starter ? if you mean him, yeah.. he needs to try again
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Raffles wrote:

1 balding
    2 red faced
    5 double chinned
    6 high blood pressure
    7 stressed out
    8 impatient

Do you mind, I happen to have 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9, plus a few extra to boot.

They should ban two a breast though. :wink:
  • TomOdell
    Pituophis wrote:
    Hey... I fit 1,2 whilst going up hill, 7 and 9 and have no intention of signing it! :shock:

balding whilst going up a hill ? that's a new one
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I think we should all sign it, promote it on Facebook and Twitter and generally raise the profile. It won't go anywhere but at least there is a chance we could "out" the guy.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    TomOdell wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

balding whilst going up a hill ? that's a new one

See that little mark between 1 and 2, (like that one) it's a comma. It's a bit like a short pause :wink:

Any way, I'm far more likely to be balding going down hill, with wind assistance whipping under my helmet (on my head, in case of more confusion :roll: )

:D
  • TomOdell
    and on a completely different note... is your name Pituophis because you keep snakes?
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    seanoconn wrote:
    Raffles wrote:

1 balding
    2 red faced
    5 double chinned
    6 high blood pressure
    7 stressed out
    8 impatient

10 unable to ride a bike/very wobbly

Every time they see a cyclist they are reminded of their dad who wasn't there to teach them to ride a bike

Good points. I think there's a fair amount of resentment/jealousy aimed at cyclists from those who are unfit or frustrated by life, or whose life is lacking in something, and therefore project their own self loathing onto us.

These people lack the motivation or desire to do anything about their situation and make a positive change to their lifestyle. Or so my friends have counselled when I've offered stories of road rage. One mate said that a particularly abusive driver was probably just wishing he had a nice road bike and the freedom to go out and ride it for a couple of hours whenever, away from the clutches of his family! (Yes I am single and yes I know there are plenty of cyclists who are in stable relationships where they are free to ride their bike!)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    TomOdell wrote:

i can picture the guy sitting at his computer like this:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IfDTxOjBsPE/U ... hands.jpeg

because of the 32 people who agree with him.

I suspect one of his hands is wrapped firmly around his tiny todger
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Set up a petition to have Mr James Guthrie banned from the Internet and we'll all sign it :)
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost