Headset confusion

CommyAdam
CommyAdam Posts: 70
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Hey,

Looking for a bit of advice with headsets, bit of a noob question so thought i'd put it here instead of on the tech forum.

Looking to replace the headset on Commencal Meta SX 2012 as the bearings have completely gone so might be time for an upgrade anyway, though i've ridden for years and try to do work on my bike where possible i'm not particularly technically minded and the spec for my bike is listed as 'campy style integrated headset with sealed bearings' - i think that campy style means campognolo? but i'm not sure of the relevance of that? Also my Fox Float 36 is tapered? So that means its 1.5" at the bottom and 1 1/8" at the top right?

Can anyone help with what type of headset i need? I presume its an integrated AND tapered headset? so it basically just sits into the frame?

I've yet to replaced a headset ever so any tips would be greatly appreciated, and i'll be sure to check park tools...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Campy style basically means a cartridge bearing that fits direct into the frame with no removeable mounting (so don't get it wrong or the frame can be scrap!)

Park tools webby has the full identifying list, really you need to remove forks and read the bearing number!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.