Replacing gear cable on Ultegra 6700 STi

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited July 2015 in Workshop
As the thread title says. I've had a look at shimano's installation instructions and a couple of youtube videos, but all seem to show installation and not what a shifter with a broken cable in looks like, and what you need to remove/unscrew to get at it.

I've done this on a 105 shifter before, but having peeled back the rubber hood I just can't work out where the bloody cable end is on these 6700 shifters!

If anybody could point me in the direction of some really clear photos, or a really clear video (you know - providing the kind of guidance an idiot would need to replace a gear cable) then it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Ensure the shifter is in the setting for least cable tension (press the paddle not the whole lever until it will no longer click) and then push the cable out from outside the shifter until you see it at the shifter end.
    You will have to remove bartape to replace the cables so if you remove it before doing this it makes it far easier as you can push through from right at the shifter.

the cable should pop out of the hole shown on the installation instructions.
  • fluided
    fluided Posts: 114
    This link shows you how to do the whole groupset you can download it to, it helped me out no end.

http://vimeo.com/8613681

Cheers
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'll need to remove bar tape just to replace a cable inner? Guess this is the downside of having the cables under the tape.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    No need to remove bar tape for an inner cable change.

The inner cable comes in at the top of the sti and runs around the body to the inner side, there is a small panel held in place with one screw, if you remove this you can then see where the nipple is located.

DSC01922.jpg

showing panel removed...
    DSC01921.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    To resurrect an old thread - thank you very, very much: you just stopped me setting fire to my new shifters.

In all my years of doing this, this has to be the shyyytest design ever. May the designer be struck down with an ever worsening case of herpes and an infected catheter.

Thank you again.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    Having just spent 2 hours trying to get a cable fitted, I have to agree with the above. This is the most p*ss poor piece of design I've ever seen

Previous systems (old Campag and Shimano) have been relatively straight forward

On my shifters - I assume Ultegra 6700 - there appears to be a panel but it seems to be held in place with 2 screws and a very small allen bolt. Is this the panel I need to remove?

Any feedback gratefully received!
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    @team47b - many thanks for your helpful post on this - I would have been off to the lbs tomorrow without it

Additional hints to help out any other unfortunates trying to install a new cable on the above Ultegra version:

Roll the rubber hoods as far forward as they will go - I was originally rolling them back but this obscures some of the items you need to see

The small panel is on the outer side of the shifters (I was originally looking on the inner side). It is held in place by a small screw but also has two locating pins. Once removed, it's easy to see where the cable runs

The outer cable is a bit hidden but it runs on the outer edge of the sti body. I hacked away at some of the bar tape trying to locate it before realising this

Having said all this, previous derailleur cable inners I have installed have been a simple matter of pushing the cable in once you've located the entry point. On this system, there at at least 3 different points you need to be able to see the cable to make sure it routes correctly. It is a very poor design from a maintenance point of view
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    agree, 6600 etc series were a doddle to fit a gear cable, 6700 etc a PITA. IIRC 6800 not that great either!
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Is this the price the your pay for under the bar tape routing?

The old washing line shimano system was so simple and you could use the cables to hold onto when in the aero arms on the bars position. It just looked so naff.

I've got a set of 5600 series shifters stored away in a box. When/if my current 6700 shifters break, I'll stop being vain and go back to the old system.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Is this the price the your pay for under the bar tape routing?

The old washing line shimano system was so simple and you could use the cables to hold onto when in the aero arms on the bars position. It just looked so naff.

I've got a set of 5600 series shifters stored away in a box. When/if my current 6700 shifters break, I'll stop being vain and go back to the old system.

yup. IMO the 6600 etc series shift better than the 6700 too