9 speed rear mech to stop chain slap.

D4V1D
D4V1D Posts: 233
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently running a Shimano Deora XT rear mech on a HT with a frame protector and I want some advice on which rear mech would be best to stop the chain slapping about on the down hill trails.

Some have a clutch device but that's all I know for now.

Thanks.
I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
Cube Acid 2010
Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only 10 speed mechs have the clutches I am afraid. Not much else you can do really bar fit one of the old DCD things but they are not very good and can affect shifting - plus make a racket themselves!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stay in bigger cogs on bumpy stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Saw a thing on ride.io where someone had managed to make a 10sp zee mech work with a 9sp SRAM shifter - look it up on youtube.
    I'm not going to recommend you do it - but it seems like it might work.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    Thanks, so I'm a bit stuck then. What if a take the large chain wheel off, as I rarely use it and fit a shorter rear mech.
    Would this work a bit better or just cause more problems?
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bottom run of chain is still liable to slap around. It will help a bit, as the mechs tend to be more tightly sprung. But then again, the chain will be closer to the chainstay ;-)
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Saw a thing on ride.io where someone had managed to make a 10sp zee mech work with a 9sp SRAM shifter - look it up on youtube.
    I'm not going to recommend you do it - but it seems like it might work.

It works very well, im using a 10 speed SLX clutch mech with my X0 shifter and 9 speed system. You just need a 6mm spacer under the cable where it attatches to the mech to increase the pull ratio slightly.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    The easiest and cheapest way to prevent this is to use a thicker material. What sort of chain stay protector are you using?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have just bought an XT Shadow+ rear mech to go with my SRAM shifters to run a clutch rear mech on my hard tail.. Until now I have been using this as my chainstay protector. It pre-preg carbon.
    2tzw.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    morepower wrote:
    I have just bought an XT Shadow+ rear mech to go with my SRAM shifters to run a clutch rear mech on my hard tail.. Until now I have been using this as my chainstay protector. It pre-preg carbon.
    2tzw.jpg
    so how are you going to get that to work then? what travel converter are you making or buying?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    morepower wrote:
    I have just bought an XT Shadow+ rear mech to go with my SRAM shifters to run a clutch rear mech on my hard tail.. Until now I have been using this as my chainstay protector. It pre-preg carbon.
    2tzw.jpg
    so how are you going to get that to work then? what travel converter are you making or buying?

I have heard you can either run the 10 speed Shimano directly with the 9 speed shifters OR use a 6mm spacer. I am going to start with it as a direct fit then keep adding 1mm shims until I get close then either add or remove .5mm to get it spot on. Once I have it sorted I will make a solid spacer to the correct thickness.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i have heard similar just making sure you had as well..
    vids here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 10spd&sm=3

if you want to do a write up do it and send me a pm of the topic and i will add it to the FAQs
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    i have heard similar just making sure you had as well..
    vids here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 10spd&sm=3

if you want to do a write up do it and send me a pm of the topic and i will add it to the FAQs

No Problem.. I could have it all done with CAD to work it out properly but by the time it is measured up I could have done a test and fine tuned it.... lol. I will get a video too if I can.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Northwind's been doing this for a while, and has said it works fine.
  • OK. XT rear mech arrived and opened the box. The box was for the XT Shadow Plus but the mech in there was the previous one which does not have the clutch! So contacted the seller on evilBay and offered to either have a £10 partial refund or return it... But just to see if it works with the SRAM X7 shifters so I fitted it up to the bike. Put it straight on and just pulled the cable though to get the tension somewhere close. It worked straight away with no adjustment. It was a little noisy but a little adjustment and it works. 10 minutes from start to finish and now I know if I get the correct rear mech it will work.
    07uu.jpg
    s9qb.jpg

I will post up a video later as it was not easy holding the phone at the same time.. But as you can see there is no 6mm spacer and it works perfectly.

As it is not the correct rear mech I didnt want to make a thread and get flamed. Now I need to get the Shadow Plus rear mech.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I just bought the 10sp system - couldn't be arsed with the faffing about of the spacer.
  • POAH wrote:
    I just bought the 10sp system - couldn't be arsed with the faffing about of the spacer.

Look at the photo... there is no spacer... You dont need a spacer....
  • Why do people use them then and how did they come to it requiring 6 mm rather than say 5 or 7 mm? Have you really tested it properly? Your perfect maybe different to other's perfect
  • Why do people use them then and how did they come to it requiring 6 mm rather than say 5 or 7 mm? Have you really tested it properly? Your perfect maybe different to other's perfect

No idea why people have added the spacer.. I fitted it and it works up and down the cassette quietly so for me I think it is good enough. As the rear mech was mis-sold and not the Clutched version I paid for I dont want to go out on it as I will probably end up sending it back.. (That was why I have not given it, it's own thread.) But it has made me look at getting the one of the clutched Shimano rear mechs.

I will sort out a video later.. But so far so good... No spacer and quiet accurate shifting.
  • poah
    morepower wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Look at the photo... there is no spacer... You dont need a spacer....

because you don't get good shifting over all 9 cogs that's why.
  • Dont seem to have a problem with mine so far... been up the road and it shifts cleanly and quickly over all 9 gears... As good as the X9 I have been running.... I am just disappointed it was not the clutched version advertised as I dont see a benefit just fitting the XT over the X9 without the clutch. I will be getting a Shimano Clutched rear mech though.
  • poah
    I got my SLX stuff from merlin which was the cheapest
  • POAH wrote:
    I got my SLX stuff from merlin which was the cheapest

It seems CRC have got the XT version slightly cheaper than the SLX and the ZEE is the cheapest price of them all... If I get a refund I will probably get the new XT version.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shouldn't you have returned it before fitting it and riding around?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It was second hand not a brand new one. If I got it dirty or damaged it I would keep it... I did say I was not going out for a ride with it as using it for a day out and then sending it back would be taking the piss... But as the guy said it was a Shadow Plus (obviously not when I opened the correct Shadow Plus box!) I decided to fit it to see IF it works and a quick ride up the street on a nice dry crisp day is not even going to get it wet.... It is in the same condition as it arrived if not better now it has been lubricated and cleaned fully.. So if the guy offers a partial refund I will either keep it or sell it on again. If he wants it back.... It will be as good as it arrived..
  • poah
    entitled to a full refund as it was not as described
  • POAH wrote:
    entitled to a full refund as it was not as described
    I have given the guy the option of a partial refund so if I sell it I am not out of pocket with fees ect or a full refund. I dont mind either way. Either way the cash will be used on a clutched rear mech.

At the end of the day it was a proof of concept. I know others have said it has been done but until you try for yourself you are never 100% sure. Afterall there is as much wrong information on the internerd as there is down the pub when talking to mates... You have to try it and see... I was not going to buy a new mech and it not work.. A second hand one would have been OK for now and possibly a brand new one next year once winter is over. But I have tried it and know it works, the fact the guy gave the wrong description just means I have proof it works and will go out and buy a new on sooner... lol