Wheel building tool recomendations

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at the possibility of building my wheelset as I'm finding it difficult to find what I want from the usual suppliers (SS, Merlin, etc). So I'm after a few quality tools to build the wheels.

What spoke key would you recommend? Any particular ones that grip the nipple better or are ergonomically better to use? Also what size would I need to go for assuming I'm going to use DT Swiss Comp 2.0/1.8/2.0 or Sapim D Light 2.0/1.65/2.0 spokes?

What nipple driver do you suggest or should I make my own as described in the Roger Mussens Wheel Building book? I saw a DT Swiss driver one for £40 :shock: No ways am I paying for that.

I'll make my truing stand as described in the aforementioned book.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't need a nipple driver - but it can make things a bit quicker. I like the park tools spoke keys, fit nicely in the hand.

As for spoke type, depends wjhat you want from the wheel. What rims/hubs are you using? Intemneded usage? What is your weight? Bike?
  • hard-rider
    I'm planning on 29er arch ex or picenti tl28 on hope pro 2 hubs. Use would be for aggressive xc and tail riding. My weight fully kitted is 85kg. Wheels to go onto a Pyga 29er trail bike.

EDIT: When I was referring to size I meant the size of the spoke key. I see they come in different sizes.
  • supersonic
    I'd stick with 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes, are a good blend of stiffness and strength.
  • hard-rider
    OK and what size spoke key?
  • supersonic
    Depnds on the size of the nipples. 2.0 spokes will be 14g.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    FYI, I use the Park spoke spanners, but the ones that grips on four corners and a Minoura stand.
  • gkdk
    gkdk Posts: 4
    hard-rider wrote:
    What nipple driver do you suggest or should I make my own as described in the Roger Mussens Wheel Building book? I saw a DT Swiss driver one for £40 :shock: No ways am I paying for that.

Excellent book and I have used to build a few sets of wheels without any previous experience. Have a go at making your own nipple driver. Would recommend a set of cheap screwdrivers from poundland or similar as although they are useless as screwdrivers it is easy to modify them for the purpose of a nipple driver.
  • hard-rider
    OK, so I'm still not sure what size spoke spanner to order. If I am going to use DT Swiss Comp 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes and the appropriate nipples what size spoke wrench do I order? 3.23 or 3.45 - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12340