Collecting bike/essential gear?

Oldboy NDF
Oldboy NDF Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Everyone just starting out....

Going to pick up my new bike later today (cannondale trail 5 29er) havnt had a bike since i was a kid!
Purchasing some kit on collection too, so what essentials should i buy in what order? any advice appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Helmet
    Pump
    Multitool
    Tubes
    Shock pump if one isn't provided and your bike has air forks/shock

Not essential but desireable

Gloves
    Kneepads
    Hydration pack or bottles/cage
    Cycling glasses/shades to stop crap/midges filling your eyes
    Chain lube

Then there's the spares most people carry

Spare brake pads
    Chain links
    Tyre levers

The list goes on... :P
  • Oldboy NDF
    Thanks, Any preference on a multitool and pump or are they all much the same?
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I'd avoid the cheapest stuff, I've only had Topeak pumps and multitool so can't comment on anything else, had no problems with either.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Bought a Blackburn Mountain Air pump recently for a tenner and it seems sturdy (ally body), guaranteed, rebuildable and does the job. Can't complain for that price.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    You say that you haven't ridden in a while...

In which case, once you have bought the essentials (tools, tubes and lubes), to keep your bike on the trails, invest in some decent padded shorts.
    I'm not kidding. You first ride may be a bit uncomfortable.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Beanyman
    Beanyman Posts: 25
    You say that you haven't ridden in a while...

In which case, once you have bought the essentials (tools, tubes and lubes), to keep your bike on the trails, invest in some decent padded shorts.
    I'm not kidding. You first ride may be a bit uncomfortable.

Got to agree with this.

As a fellow noob, and in my experience padded shorts would be second on my list after helmet.
  • Kowalski675
    Another vote for padded shorts here, especially if you have a bony ass like me, lol. I have Endura 6 panel shorts - cheap, comfortable and well padded.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    MTFU.
  • Kowalski675
    Helpful consumer advice there, lol.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It certainly is. If you MTFU for a bit you do HTFU which makes it better in the long run
  • Oldboy NDF
    Thanks for the heads up guys.....
    i agree with the padding, prior to collecting my new bike i took a rental round sherwood pines a few weeks ago for a few laps and the day after my ass was in bits!

Padded shorts imminent!

:shock:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I suggest a large pot of cold cream. Smear it around your obvious and in the cracks and folds. Stops chafing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    I would suggest the glasses are on the essential list. You are going to wish you had them after a bit of mud flicks in your eye while zooming down a narrow rocky gully at speed. (Well my mate did anyway - and continued to do so for days while his eye went red due to a minor infection...)