Deore Vs XT Shifters - Advice Needed

Dredd6969
Dredd6969 Posts: 64
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

After a little if advice, if you please. I've got a 2012 Ghost AMR 5900 full sus with stock Deore shifters. The rest of the drive train is 10 speed XT/SLX.

I'm thinking of upgrading to XT shifters, but wanted to know whether or not I'm going to notice a difference between the two with regard to performance. Are the shifts quicker, slicker, smoother, etc?

If the difference is only weight and possibly build quality, would I be better to just wait until the Deore shifters die and need replacing?

What do you all think?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wait till they die.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    +1. XT is definitely nicer but not worth the upgrade imo, especially for the amount XT shifters cost on their own.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    nicklouse wrote:
    wait till they die.

....although you might be waiting a very long time :-)

But the advice is good, I'd not bother replacing them either.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wait until you crash and smash the top cover.......then replace.

(anyone want two Deore shifters with broken top covers?)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Surely there's someone tighter than you that would take them?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Surely there's someone tighter than you that would take them?
    No - and yes possibly.......I'll try ebay, it's amazing what people will buy on there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dredd6969
    Dredd6969 Posts: 64
    Thanks for the replies all. I was thinking about waiting, but just wanted to know if I was missing out.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Personally I WOULD swap them! Deore are good, but XT are a cut above in action, smoother lighter and seem to stay that way for longer. I'd sell the Deore and get XT.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd get XTR, but that's me.