Mapping a route and getting elevation info

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
Is there something I can plot / plan a route on and get the elelvation information / feet /meters climbed before I ride it.

Strava will tell me afterwards, I had a look at map my ride and whilst it does a pretty elevation graph I couldn't seem to get it to show me the total height climbed?

Any ideas?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    ridewithgps.com
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    ridewithgps.com
    ...is the correct answer. :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    +1 to ridewithgps.

Ridewithgps will give you the cucmulative totals for every up and down you do on a ride - sometimes it seems a little high to me but after ironing out some initial bugs they now stand behind their figures.

As a slightly off topic note, elevation data does cause some issues for us on tours particularly on Raid Pyreneans and big European sportives (Etape etc)!

The official stats for the Raid for example are that you do 11,000m of climbing but the cumulative total as taken from ridewithgps and a full set of garmin files from the route totals over 20,000m. I normally get a panicked email from people once they realise this but it is just down to the differing methods of measurement.

1. Official Raid figure of 11,000m is the total if you take every major climb along the route and deduct the starting elevation from the finish elevation. So a climb starts at 300m and ends at 1300m = 1000m climbed.

2. Ridewithgps/Garmin file figure of over 20,000m is the road as it is ridden, ie counting every single up and down and also takes account of dips during an ascent. Ie if halfway up a big climb the road dips and you lose 50m elevation this method will include the bit you have to reclimb. So for the same climb as above ridewithgps and the garmin data will show you climbed 1050m.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    cheers
    Edit - ah interesting with the elevation thing.

I have a regular 35 mile route which strava reckons is 1454ft climbed, whereas map with GPS says is 1894 ft.

Still the 60 miler I was looking at is 5445ft, which is definately hillier!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bikehike.co.uk is also very good. No sign up, just import/plot/export routes.

Also has an Ordnance Survey 'layer' for CX/MTB stuff.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I use http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/
    the distance is usually spot on, but the elevation can be a little out when compared to Runkeeper / Strava after a ride.