orange crush 2009 hayes stroker brakes :/

yess@fsmail.net
yess@fsmail.net Posts: 30
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,

ive got a pretty much standard spec 2009 orange crush

but my question is about the hayes stroker hydraul brakes...

theyre squeaking embarrasingly loudly... any fettling tips on how to get rid of this

i assume the squeaking is from the discs catching the pads

the discs are pretty straight but on my last discs there was a dial for adjusting the closeness of the pads??

the hayes strokers dont seem to have any such adjustment

or am i missing something??

thanks

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Are they squeaking all the time or only when you brake? If the latter, it sounds like you have contaminated them, in which case you would need to clean the rotors and replace the pads.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Squeaking happens for many reasons, but contamination is rarely (if ever) one of them....sometimes it just happens, but check the caliper is aligned correctly and bolts tight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • squeak almost constantly. how do you check the caliper is aligned properly? ill check all the bolts. guessing there isnt any adjuster dial to adjust closeness of pads then :/ strange there isnt one :(
    thanks for replies.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hydraulics are self adjusting, you don't need to adjust them. Cable discs yes.
    Loosen the caliper bolts, hold the brake, retighten.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To align the caliper, do as CD suggests, tighten the bolts slowly and in stages as sometimes the friction under the bolt heads can twist the caliper as you are tightening it. Squealing (high pitched whine when braking) you can't always get rid of, often it is worse under light braking than heavy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.