Deore 590 groupset - your thoughts ?

2»

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    bernie1973 wrote:
    dumdum wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:
    The shadow mech has a clutch - meant to stop chainslap and make it easier to take the rear wheel off. Nothing tricky about it so certainly no need to replace it with the cheaper version!
    Just to question what you just said, I thought the shadow+ had a clutch, the shadow is just the way the mech tucks away out of harm, the + symbol is for the clutch mechanism? Maybe someone could confirm or deny this lol ;)

Yep, as someone else said, Shadow just means the mech tucks out the way, the plus means it has a so called clutch mechanism to reduce chain slap. The rear mech included in the Merlin groupset is M593 which is shadow but not plus. Don't think you can get plus at Deore level yet. Deore is a great groupset, it is the Shimano entry point for 10 speed. You will not find it lacking in performance for taking your son for rides or indeed for much more serious mountain biking and IMO is great value at £250 including brakes and rotors.
    Me :wink:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i hope you ordered the correct size for your bike does the 170mm or 175 matter anymore as long as the correct bottom bracket is used on the bike ?
  • Greer_
    Huh? The 170mm/175mm is the crank length, not the bb shell width which would be 68mm or 73mm. Crank length doesn't affect anything else. The bb comes with spacers to correct the width - 73mm needs 1 spacer on drive side, 68mm needs 2 spacers on drive side, 1 spacer on non drive side.

The bb is a hollowtech ii, not square taper etc where the width is important.
  • freshe
    freshe Posts: 63
    swod1 wrote:
    i hope you ordered the correct size for your bike does the 170mm or 175 matter anymore as long as the correct bottom bracket is used on the bike ?

You got me scared for a sec. Not with the fact that it will fit the BB as per Greer_'s remark that it's the length of the crank. But that I in fact have chosen the shorter one - which I didn't because the set comes with 175 crank. So for now no major disasters looming :D

Greer_ - Thanks for that tip. I wasn't sure about the spacers as my road bike needs none. However should I "face" (I think that's the correct term) bb tube before installing the bb ? Would need to bring it to LBS.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes.
  • Greer_
    I never had my bb shell faced but everyone recommends it! My deore bb lasted 6ish months which seems no worse than others, hopefully my xt bb will last longer! It just depends on the frame, and if the faces are a LONG way off being parallel.