Broken chain after 350miles

Cupras
Cupras Posts: 145
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
So my chain is sticking in 1 point after 350 miles.
Would you take it back to where you got it from ore just stump up for a new chain?
Bike is a specialized crosstail sports disc.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Depends who fitted it, how clean it is and what you mean by sticking in?
  • Cupras
    Its a brand new bike so I presume the bike shop or specialized themselves.
    Bikes been dry ridden only.

I have tried the above to no avail.
  • silverscoob
    silverscoob Posts: 15
    If flexing the link from side-to-side hasn't released the sticking link (usually does, have to use a bit of force), back to the shop to sort. Must be due a first service?
  • Cupras
    It had its first service last week, tbh the bike hasn't felt as nice since then.
    I was changing up a gear as I came to slow down for a junction to make setting off easier. When I set off it ws fine for about 1 pedal rotation then kept sticking from there.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I find that if I've "broken" and refitted the chain then I have to push the pin through too far then back again to loosen it enough to flex properly.

If it's just one link that's sticking then it may be worth breaking the chain on that link and re-fitting it. If that doesn't work then why not give the shop who serviced it a call and ask for their advice.

I've found if you "ask for advice" you tend to get a better/more friendly level of service than if you go in "demanding" resolutions.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    An LBS I've used says chain wear in wet and winter weather can mean replacing chains as often as 300miles if you ride dirt.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.