Resistance in pro2 rear hub

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So it seems my proII rear hub has quite a lot of resistance in it - I had the bearings changed by the LBS a couple of weeks ago, and didn't really try spinning the hub before i put it back on the bike, anyway I thought it felt a little draggy but thought it might have been the rotor, so i took the rotor off to give it a go, and when i spin it by hand, it has a lot of resistance, spins for maybe 5 or 10 seconds? By comparison, my superstar hub spins for ages.... Anyone got any ideas? it's really irritating and very noticable when pedalling...
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sounds like the bearings haven't been pushed in quite right to me. If it's an Evo it's easy to pull apart and check they are knocked in properly, not so sure on a normal Pro II.
  • ilovedirt
    I'll see if i can get the end caps off and check - i don't have a vice here though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Well I've had it apart and greased everything I could, as well as opening up a couple of the bearings which felt a bit rough (makes me wonder if the lbs even changed them) and packing them with grease. Feels a little better but I think I'll order some more bearings and change them myself...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Tom4
    Tom4 Posts: 69
    Something is obviously not right,

I would take it back to the LBS. I remember when I took my Pro II apart that there was a washer that goes on before the free hub body slides on. Check that it is there and if it isn't then I think that is your problem.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That washer is a swine, if it gets damaged it casues resistance - and it is supposed to be directional too.