racks + discs

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm sure this has been done before but presume I would need a new rack or some kind of adaption to my existing rack (a Tubus Logo) to fit to a bike with a discs - say, for example a Genesis CdF 2013?

Any guidance gladly received.

Thinking ahead to winter commuting and next summer's touring. :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3 ways of fitting a rack to bike with discs...
    1/ Choose a frame with the calliper mounted off the chain not seat stay, use any normal rack, the CDF doesn't have this feature
    2/ Buy a rack with spacers at the bottom or a kinked NDS leg to clear the caliper.
    3/ Bend a rack to fit (yes done this and yes it worked, gentle bend out at the top, mid to low bend it back, bottom bend the bracket square for fitting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clarkey cat
    Thanks - that's very helpful.
    Really don't want to buy a new rack as the Tubus was pretty expensive and don't think it will bend - so need to rethink frame (or not get discs).

The wife has given the green light on a new commuter up to £1000 and I'm going around in circles. :?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • clarkey cat
    I like that Trek.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I tried a Pinnacle Somethingorother that had the calliper mounted between the seat and chain stay, like that Trek, so it would take a standard rack and guards without interfering. Good spec for the money too. But, it felt really dull so I bought the Kinesis. Genesis Croix de Fer felt really nice, didn't try the CdF.
  • clarkey cat
    what's the deal with the Kinesis then, V? Does that take a standard rack?
    What happened to the Jake?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Canti's on the Jake were rubbish in the wet and I got a pass for a disc braked bike. I bought the Kinesus to take a rack but it's so lovely I can't bring myself to fit one. You are always welcome to have a go if you want.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've just had a clear out today and found a rack.... designed to work with discs. Think it's a Tortec Expedition. If you go down the disc route and want it, drop me a PM

Edit: this one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-to ... rear-rack/
  • clarkey cat
    Cheers guys. Next few days will be spent deciding on getting a disc CX for commuting or MTFU and get a FG commuter.
  • Something like this perhaps?

http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=35

Then you can just choose the CdF, like you know you want to.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cheers guys. Next few days will be spent deciding on getting a disc CX for commuting or MTFU and get a FG commuter.

as much as I'd like to shift the disc pannier rack, MTFU :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I put a Tortec on my Genesis Day 01. Well, actually, the LBS put the rack on. To fit the rack properly with disks they had to make some adjustments. I was going to try to do it myself, but it looked too risky.

http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/ did the work. The labour charge wasn't much, but then I bought the rack & mudguards from them (the mudguards also required some strategic bending and extra bits to work with the disc brakes). CC - I can take some pictures of what they did if you're interested.
  • clarkey cat
    thanks guys - starting to go off the idea of discs actually as they all come with Shimano unless you go silly money. I can't bring myself to ride with Shimano.
    I want to keep this under a grand for C2W so narrowed options down to:

Pearson Now You See Me

and

Ribble Steel Audax (with Veloce)

neither of which particularly set my world alight.