MTB Single Speed Conversion - ROAD!

joachimtranberg
joachimtranberg Posts: 6
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi guys.

Since i was rammed down with my GT MTB, i decided to use the remainning parts for building a Single Speed MTB for driving around town. Nothing happend to me :wink:

I have already bought Chain Tensioner and N-Gear Jump Stop (For looks)

However i cannot decided on what gearing i should go for.
The Cassette will be replaced with this kit: http://www.jensonusa.com/Wheels-Manufac ... espeed-Kit
On the Crank i have 42 and 32 gearing

I have spooken with different people saying that 32/16 is good for Off road, however to low for road.
So is 42/16 or 32/12 better? I would prefer to use the smallest possible chain gear. Advice needed!

And last; what chain should i use for this conversion. Is the Shimano chain on the MTB fine or do i have to buy a new?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that im running on 26" MTB tires :)

Best Regards
Joachim

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Definitely 42/16, and even that may be too short. That's what I run on my commuter. It gets me upp all the local hills, but can be a bit spinny on the flat for long periods. It's a decent enough compromise though.
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    I run 42/16 on my SS, as said it can be a bit spinny on the flat but if there are any hills round by you then I'd probably avoid anything harder.
  • But why not 32/12 then? Thats a 72ratio
    42/16 is 70,9
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    I went with 42/16 because I already had a 42T chainring and my wheels came with a 16T freewheel when I bought them (I converted an 80s Bianchi racer though, not an MTB).

You'll find most SS conversion kits will come with a 15/16T sprocket due to the popularity of the 42/16 combo. 32/12 will also put more stress on the chain. When I used to ride BMX, I snapped a lot more chains running 25/9 than 39/13.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need for a jump stop running single speed (usefull for 1x converesions, except 1x1!), will look even better without it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Roger.

So i'll go with the 42T/16T ratio. Should i buy a new Chain Gear or just use the one i already have from the standard crankset?
    No Jump Stop. Confirmed :)

How about chain. Standard Shimano or one made especially for SS ?
  • The Rookie
    Use any decent 7/8 speed chain, thicker side plates so more durable at the joints.

Ideally you want a single specific chainring, but your current one will do, my commuter runs a Stronglight track crankset (square taper) as it's a lot lighter than an MTB setup.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stronglight-A ... 1c130ad610
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    2012-10-02164339.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Mine has done 2500 miles without issue......
  • Rather kill my self than installing a road crank on my MTB :P

Im looking for a 104 42T cheap singlespeed chaingear, otherwise i just keep what i already have :)
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    yeah, I ran 42-16T for a while whilst I still had the tripple on the front and the cassette on the back (but had shortened the chain to SS). ending up topping out a lot but not too much. I did a 30mile ride on it (mostly old converted train tracks - that kind of thing (so canal path style)) and it did the trick just fine, even managed a pretty killer hill 25mile in to the ride. I did the ride in the same speed I had previously on my MTB as what I lost in gears I gained in having slicks on.

I got a 38T single on the front now an 14T rear which is slightly higher and suits my commute better.
  • So the project is almost finished.
    However i cannot find a 4 bolt 104mm Chainring/gear with 42tooths in Black for 1/8 chain.
    Help needed.