Forum home Road cycling forum Amateur race

Which Race?

Sussed outSussed out Posts: 189
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
Hi, I've just moved up to 3rd cat so now cat 1\2\3 races are open to me.

There is a race coming up which has a cat 3\4 race at a convenient time for me and a cat 1\2\3 race at a slightly more inconvenient time.

Which should I enter? If I enter the 1\2\3 and say for example I'm the fastest 3rd cat will I get points? Or would it be better to do the 3\4 and try to place in the top 5.

Thanks,
Ben

• DHTTDHTT Posts: 345
    Points are awarded to First 10/15 (Depending on Catergory of race) regardless of their current catergory. As you've just move to 3rd, I'd advice doing the 3/4 and once you start placing regularly there and are progressing to 2nd then maybe start trying the E123's to get a feel for it prior to getting your 2nd cat.
  • Sussed outSussed out Posts: 189
    Thats what I was erring towards, thanks for the comfirmation!
  • saprkzzsaprkzz Posts: 592
    Congrats to you for getting the 3rd Cat, I also have just moved up, but I will go at it gently now trying to find how I settle with the 3rds, so I will only enter 3/4's and leave the 1st's and 2nd's alone for now :) I train with 1st cats and they are hardcore! :)
    Well I did this race last night, punctured twice in the 3/4, once on first lap so fitted a spare wheel, second one about 5 laps from the end. So entered the E/1/2/3 straight after. Interesting actually, really good to race people from trade teams and stuff. Kept in the mix till the last couple of laps when racing for an hour and a half almost solid on one energy gel caught up with me. Long night! Av speed in 3/4 race - 26.7mph, av speed in E/1/2/3- 22mph!
  • sunburntkneessunburntknees Posts: 272
    Sussed out wrote:
    Av speed in 3/4 race - 26.7mph, av speed in E/1/2/3- 22mph!

Are you sure????

Where was this may I ask?
    Yeah I'm sure, it was at Ludgershall. The E/1/2/3 was actually 24mph, just edited out my cool down lap. It was much more intervally though, lots of speeding up and slowing down.
  • racingcondorracingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I can believe that. 3/4 races usually have plenty of riders willing to chase everything down and hammer away at the front so always seem to average 24-25mph (occasionally more on flat courses). E/1/2/3 races are much more tactical, I'd bet the last lap was faster though...
  • Thick TesterThick Tester Posts: 380
    I heard Ludgershall was so fast because you all got your arses kicked by a tester who won and then went on to ride the E123 afterwards and came 4th....
  • murf1480murf1480 Posts: 117
    I heard Ludgershall was so fast because you all got your arses kicked by a tester who won and then went on to ride the E123 afterwards and came 4th....

No that was the week before he didn't do it this week thank god.