Marzocchi 66RC3 Ti Air Leak.

court
court Posts: 1,628
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2010 Marzocchi 66RC3 Ti fork. The air side of the fork leaks air from the top, just around the C-clip, oil also dribbles out. Now if I turn it to the full + rebound dampening so that it's slow then it doesn't come out as much, same if I put near max psi in it. Though this isn't the set up I need.
I haven't ridden them that much due to work+studying the past few years, I'm pretty sure they haven't had 100hours of use yet.

I was wondering if this was a seal/service issue, or if it means that my fork will likely need a replacement parts (more than just seals), before I end up shipping them or finding somewhere to service, as the service costs are quite high. I'd likely try and service myself if it is something I could fix.

What's the diagnosis? Just to clarify it's not leaking from the valve, it's from where the C-clip holds the valve in place. Also the valve and metal part that it's attached to have slight movement (maybe 1-4mm) from side to side.

I tried searching but could not find anything relating to marzocchi or my fork specifically.
Thanks in advance.

Image attached of forks and red circle marking where it leaks.
<b><font color="black">
[8]Brooklyn[8]</font id="black"></b>

Comments

• JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    There is probably an oring or seal that seals the valve assembly have you tried this?
  • court
    court Posts: 1,628
    JohnBurt wrote:
    There is probably an oring or seal that seals the valve assembly have you tried this?
    I have yet to take them apart, I have final exams so am just looking at ideas before I spend evenings pulling them apart. I was wondering if anyone with similar forks (RC3 cartridge) had any similar experience, especially with the valve moving side to side. Also I can't find any actual fork servicing kits for this fork, only some standard marzocchi oil seals, could anyone recommend a seller for service kits for this fork?
    <b><font color="black">
    [8]Brooklyn[8]</font id="black"></b>
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i have the 66 RCV

there are loads of guides online - http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... did=146842

they are pretty easy to service in terms of fluid replacement. You just unscrew the coil and air sides, tip out the old oil, and replace with new. Taking the lowers off requires an impact wrench.

It does sound like there is something broken/missing if you have movement where you shouldnt
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    windwave are the Marzo distributors