Liverpool Mercury CC

iloveheadwinds
iloveheadwinds Posts: 6
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Afternoon all,

After two years of commuting and weekend runs with mates I feel now is the time to join a local club. Living in the city centre doesn't provide many options but having done a little research, Liverpool Mercury CC seems to be ticking most of the boxes.

I was wondering if anyone else here was a member?

Comments

• I've been wondering that too.

For me the choice would be Liverpool Mercury or Phoenix (I'm between the two). Having looked at the Phoenix club rides they seem a little long at present (into Wales or mid-Lancashire, both between 80 and 100).

I know Mercury will allow a guest ride so I've been thinking about going along one Sunday if I can get up early enough :)
  • willow71uk
    willow71uk Posts: 114
    Is Ormskirk too far for both of you? If not then the club i am in is very friendly it's Harry Middleton CC we gather at The Bicycle Loungue in Ormskirk town center. Usually 4 groups. You can just turn up and try a few rides before signing up for free. You could just hop on the train down to Ormskirk from Liverpool only 15 mins.
  • My recent rides have all been around the Ormskirk area (through Kirkby, Aughton, Ormskirk and onwards). I might take you up on that offer if I'm allowed out by the wife and kids.

(Apologies for jumping on someone else's post)
  • willow71uk
    We meet at 9am Sundays. There is also a Chainey on Tuesday & Thursday at 7pm and a club ride on Thursday also.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Give them all a go.

If your ride through kirkby the phoenix meet at the blue anchor - thing about the phoenix is that they have different meeting points each week, so one week its the blue anchor, the next is in town then one over in huyton - very nice bunch though.

The merc are massive and whatever your ability you'll fit in - the litherland hq is a bit out of the way though - very organised, great deal of cycling knowledge in the club - most are scousers so the rides are normally a laugh.

Harry Middletons is somewhere in between - theres only monday wednesday friday theres not a ride going on - more adventurous in their choice of rides - can be prone to a bit of willy waving - its biggest problem is some riders not moving up a group so all the av speeds tend to be higher than they need be which could put newbies off - very friendly though - some good plans afoot to improve its services for 2013 - helps if you speak woollyback :lol: .

IMO For the money Phoenix would be maybe 1 ride every 3 weeks

Merc is out of the way navigatin some crappy roads to get to Litherland

HMCC is on the door step of some of the best cycling in the area

But try them all - each is different and at the end of the day you'll be out cycling with like minded people and in the summer theres nothing better.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • willow71uk
    its biggest problem is some riders not moving up a group so all the av speeds tend to be higher than they need be which could put newbies off
    Haha hope that's not directed at me Cleat ;) I admit the B group pace is more like A pace sometimes but John tries to keep it reasonable.
  • Bazinga!!!
    Bazinga!!! Posts: 30
    willow71uk wrote:
    We meet at 9am Sundays. There is also a Chainey on Tuesday & Thursday at 7pm and a club ride on Thursday also.

Forgive my ignorance. New to cycling but what is a "Chainey"? :?
    Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
  • Cheers for the replies folks (even if Stephen did hijack my post ha!) To be honest, Ormskirk is a bit of a mission to get to, I'd prefer to keep it as local as possible. Liverpool Century has also caught my eye as they have chains starting just a few miles from home.

I know its a long shot, but I'd suppose any of you's have trained with them?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Cheers for the replies folks (even if Stephen did hijack my post ha!) To be honest, Ormskirk is a bit of a mission to get to, I'd prefer to keep it as local as possible. Liverpool Century has also caught my eye as they have chains starting just a few miles from home.

I know its a long shot, but I'd suppose any of you's have trained with them?

Your nominated club have organised a RR this Sunday
    http://liverpoolcentury.com/Events%20Ge ... %20RR.aspx
    I left it too late to enter but then again it is on cusp of my limit for travel to races anyways. I'd make the trek to Ormskirk and see whats what with the club.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    You need to contact the Century, theyre actually based in huyton now at the ridiculously overpriced velodrome, not sure if there club runs are from there or not - even if theyre still setting of from tarbock you'd be riding an extra 3 miles to get to Liverpool Merc ( Assuming you're a bohemian bum from aigburth :lol: )

I've honestly only ever seen the century in a group of 8 - that may possibly be the entire club :lol: - give them a bell.

IMO what you need in a club is a structure, not necessarily organisational, anarchy is good, but a structure that allows you to develop asa rider - so you have a beginners group, a better group, a bestest group. The merc has 2-3 depending on the weather, and HMCC has 4 - I may actaully join them. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.