Video quiz (annoying rear wheel noise)

georgeslo
georgeslo Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Hope i can get a couple of ideas of what is causing the noise in my rear wheel. I do need to state that this only happens while coasting and once every wheel rotation. At very low speed it sometimes also happens that something "catches" the cassette and turns it for a couple of centimeteres and then releases it.

The noise only occurs sometimes, not always.

You can hear the noise in the video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/dm_502104f7d3c9d#video=x1090y3

So here are the facts, regarding the rear wheel. Switch evo hub 142x12, with steel freehub, sapim race spokes, 10spd xt cassette.

The following things have been done, but the noise is still there (not always, but ocasionally):
Because the cassette was sometimes turnes while coasting, the first thing i did, was to replace the Freehub. That didn't help, so i suspected loose spokes, so i had themretensioned and the rear wheel trued. The noise is still there, except i don't know what else to look at.

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    reads like the freebody is on the way out.
    spring(s) inside. strip clean and have a look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • georgeslo
    But that's the thing. As i explained above, I was so sure that the freehub body was gone, that i went and oredered a new one from superstar. I replaced it, and inspected the old one, which visually seemed fine (and probably is), so i now have two freehub bodies and i seriously don't beleive that is the issue.
  • Is the wheel straight?

Does it happen with the wheel off the bike?
  • georgeslo
    As mentioned in my first post:
    The following things have been done, but the noise is still there (not always, but ocasionally):
    Because the cassette was sometimes turned while coasting, the first thing i did, was to replace the Freehub. That didn't help, so i suspected loose spokes, so i had them retensioned and the rear wheel trued. The noise is still there, except i don't know what else to look at......this happenes when i am on the bike coasting, up until now i haven't been able to get the noise from the rear wheel while the bike was on the stand.
  • Rear mech aligned properly? Just a thought, could be the top jockey wheel touching the cassette.
  • nicklouse
    cassette turning is often poorly seated bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • georgeslo
    What do you mean by poorly seated bearings? In what way, how can this be adjusted/repaired?
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    I'm with Nick I'd remove the freehub and reseat the rear wheel bearings and check the axle for straightness. Superstar do a pdf on how to service the switch hubs.
  • nicklouse
    georgeslo wrote:
    What do you mean by poorly seated bearings? In what way, how can this be adjusted/repaired?
    With a hammer an a suitable sized drift.

No having had a listen and with you saying I happens with both free hubs I would be having a good look hub side and the bearings and axel.

Why? Well the noise is the hub catching the freebody. Not the freebody catching the hub. I would say the drive side hub bearing is in the way out. Or poorly fitted.

Anyway strip and clean and look for wear marks.