disc alignment issue

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Im getting a bit peeved with this an i know the cause of the problem but not the fix

Every time i take the wheels off to put them in the car when I come to put them back on i have to re adjust the brake position.
My thinking is when i clamp down the QR skewer its moving the chainstays and forks inwards. Is this just me being useless of is there a way round this? As re adjusting the brakes every time is annoying

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited May 2013
    Make sure your cones are tight and the wheel is fully in the dropouts and you shouldn't have a problem
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    using the transport spacers that came with the brakes/bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • step83
    nicklouse wrote:
    using the transport spacers that came with the brakes/bike?

I always lob those in incase the levers get a squeeze.

An chuckers i do but it still happens it annoys me no end
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bits shouldn't be moving, so something is loose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing should be moving, when you say adjust the brakes, what do you actually mean?

Avid brakes? A friend had a problem where he'd catch the disc on one pad on the way in and it would push that pad back and the other would come out a bit, drove him nuts until we figured what was happening...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    Im using Shimano Deore M596s. Im having to loosen them from their mount and reposition them. Ill have to wait till i get my wheels back from being trued before i can test them see if its just me being special.