first proper club ride

hjghg5
hjghg5 Posts: 97
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I'm feeling quite pleased with myself tonight. I've had a road bike or (cough) three for a while but have been fairly sporadic in getting out on them. I'm from a running background and know how much being in a club has helped me so wanted to try a cycle club, but other commitments have got in the way for most of this year (running and family stuff mainly).

I've made it to a few social group rides and joined the club but today was my first time out with the slightly more serious b group, I've done longer rides in the past but the thought of sticking with a group rather than making up as I go along (in terms of speed, direction and when to stop) was a bit worrying - what if they detoured to take in the hills I avoid, or pushed on to a planned stop when I needed to stop NOW?

I shouldn't have worried really, 100k done well inside my comfort zone - so much so that I may give the intermediate group go at some point once I've got used to group riding etiquette and how things work! Really pleased that I plucked up the courage to give it a go :D

Comments

• canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Well done. I did my first club run yesterday and really enjoyed it. I much prefer cycling with a group, even though the banter soon dries up when the hills get serious! Keep up the good work.