passing through red lights - cool/uncool

volociroldster
volociroldster Posts: 48
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
In my view 'not cool' but so many fellow roadies are doing it. Views sought...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stupid.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Do a search of the forum for Red and Light and Jumping and come back if you think your thread is still necessary ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The_Yeti_
    The_Yeti_ Posts: 22
    Uncool! It gives the anti cyclists ammo and above all else it can be pretty dangerous!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    stupid, uncool, annoying, bigot inciting, dangerous, etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    All depends - you know the roads where you live - if it looks ok go for it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • This thread isn't looking for endorsement. Just wondering how many of those who do it will be able to justify it - however wrong and dangerous it is. Rolf F, i'll have a look, cheers...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    All depends - you know the roads where you live - if it looks ok go for it.

You're not serious?? I wont ever expect to see any complaints when a car driver puts your life in danger by their stupid driving if you condone breaking the law as a cyclist. The Commuters are fast enough to video the car driving idiots - but i dont see too many videos of them filming and posting the idiot red light running fellow cyclists. There's no excuse for it - and as said just gives the car drivers more ammo to excuse their own driving standards around cyclists
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Blowing lights is just unnecessary and winds everyone up, although admittedly I have gone through on amber-ish to my shame.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Stupid. Plain and simple.

If cars suddenly started RLJing as regularly and blantantly as some of these eediots I'm sure said cyclists would all be up in arms about how their safety is being put at risk.

I shake my head everytime I see people doing it, so its anyone's guess what people in cars to the side or behind me think when they see it.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    edited May 2013
    The French have been very forward thinking when it comes to this. I think you might be breaking the law by actually stopping.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dents.html

PS. the daily mail is a great read with up to 50% of the news they report been factual.
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    1. It's pointless and dangerous
    2. It makes drivers hate us even more

Definitely uncool.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Apart from being a traffic offence, it's reckless behaviour. I've been in my car when some knob cyclist has gone through on red. I nearly took them out, but their sheer dexterity and a bit of luck saved them from a few weeks in A&E.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'll go left on a red, then again there aren't many traffic lights around here, I'm sure it's a different story in the big smokey city place.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,402
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    In my view 'not cool' but so many fellow roadies are doing it. Views sought...

You seriously need to ask ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 - Are you missing something here - this ain't me asking if it's acceptable i just wanna see if anyone is willing/daft enough to defend it when i see so many doing it. Let me be clear - it' not big, not clever, it's illegal and as MY original post said UNCOOL :!:
  • Uncool. I don't do it myself... its a chance for me to catch a breather, :lol:
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    stupid, dangerous and illegal.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • gbredneck
    gbredneck Posts: 16
    Can't understand why anyone would want to even chance it, roads are dangerous enough without taking any chances.

The few who do it, give us all a bad name.
    Road - Raleigh Airlite 400 : Hybrid - Sirrus Comp 2013 : MTB - Orange Clockwork (2013)
    And still not quick enough!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Uncool.

This sort of thing gives stupid drivers an excuse. We wouldn't be impressed if we saw a driver doing it and sure as hell, they aren't impressed when they see a cyclist doing it.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    what about a perfectly straight road, with no side junctions ... and no pedestrians waiting to cross ... some pedestrian thinks it's funny to press the button as they walk past. Does my nut in.

I did once witness a fellow roadie get his own back on the little toerag (~16yrs) that did that ... he waited at the lights, and when they changed and they caught up to them he gave them a healthy squirt in the face from his bidon :-)
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I'm an intelligent... ish human being. I'm also, what some people would describe as a red light jumper but I don't like being compared to the idiots who seem to do it without thinking of others.

These are the thought process' that I go through automatically within split seconds when approaching lights.
    If they are pedestrian lights with no pedestrians it's a no brainer to go through.
    Pedestrian lights with pedestrians, always stop. Then if pedestrian has crossed and no more are coming, I go through whether red or green.

Traffic lights are somewhat different...
    Assuming a red light for me.
    Any pedestrians, always stop.
    Otherwise, just watch and be aware of what the traffic is doing and the light sequence. Unless I'm 100% certain that it's safe to go and I won't hinder or cause distress to another road user (including potential red light jumpers!), I will stop. Otherwise, I will go through.
    If this exact behaviour upsets someone, I think that's sad. It's similar to drivers being upset when I'm filtering through traffic on my motorcycle.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Always illegal, not always dangerous.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    W12 lad wrote:
    I'm an intelligent... ish human being. I'm also, what some people would describe as a red light jumper but I don't like being compared to the idiots who seem to do it without thinking of others.

These are the thought process' that I go through automatically within split seconds when approaching lights.
    If they are pedestrian lights with no pedestrians it's a no brainer to go through.
    Pedestrian lights with pedestrians, always stop. Then if pedestrian has crossed and no more are coming, I go through whether red or green.

Traffic lights are somewhat different...
    Assuming a red light for me.
    Any pedestrians, always stop.
    Otherwise, just watch and be aware of what the traffic is doing and the light sequence. Unless I'm 100% certain that it's safe to go and I won't hinder or cause distress to another road user (including potential red light jumpers!), I will stop. Otherwise, I will go through.
    If this exact behaviour upsets someone, I think that's sad. It's similar to drivers being upset when I'm filtering through traffic on my motorcycle.

It's nothing like a motorcycle filtering through traffic, as long as it's not on solid white lines, there is nothing illegal about filtering through traffic, it is however illegal to pass through a red light whether it be on a motorcycle car or a push bike, it's stupid, uncool, and one reason why certain car drivers don't like cyclists, then you wonder why we don't get enough space, or they are rude to cyclists etc... Dumb ass idea jumping lights
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,845
    basically no it is not cool in my book.. especially where it produces danger/inconvenience for pedestrians and difficulty for drivers. Its all very well risking your own skin but others?

OTOH

two caveats.......... there are some junctions where jumping the lights is safer. these examples are few and far between and have to be known and understood by a rider of adequate experience to have this unoffical status

the other is SOME temporary traffic lights which create one way filters. the judgement call to jump these lights usually stems from the filter being on a drag/incline where you share the lane with heavy traffic/ buses etc and need a head start to gain speed. It is also noteworthy on long contra-flow filters car drivers may actual appreciate you doing this as well.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    While it's some folks do claim they check etc, riding and driving around London, you don't see much evidence of that.

cars/bikes/buses all fly though *just* reds they are not looking for other traffic, more foot down if anything.

The danger is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. for a car it's a dent....
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    While I avoid doing it because such behaviour it politique around motorists and other cyclists I can equally see that most of the arguments for doing so don't stand scrutiny - all a bit "self-hating."

All the danger arguments (r.e. danger to the cyclist or pedestrians) seem to revolve around issues of the individual having poor judgement of road conditions generally, rather than the the arbitrary issue of how they treat coloured lights. And don't TFL statistics on recordable injuries to cyclists in no way correlated to such behaviour?
  • TimInno
    TimInno Posts: 46
    Stupid. I get annoyed with the standard of driving on the roads...I'm not going to be a hypocrite and jump lights.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I don't understand the meaning of cool and uncool regarding jumping lights.It is dangerous and stupid.Cool is something you wear or a skill you possess,jumping traffic lights is plain dumb.Something a chav would call cool i suppose,the same as walking your pitbull or staff to the offy while smoking on a dog end. :evil:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • I never thought that I would do it, until I encountered a red light on my journey on Sunday morning.

The lights are at a crossroads, where a minor road crosses a more major one. The lights are set to give much more time to traffic on the main road, and are radar-controlled. I was approaching on the minor road, intending on crossing the main road to continue my journey on the other side. I roll up, unclip and stop. There was no traffic about (it was around 8am). I wait. I wait some more. I wait again. After four minutes had gone by, I realised (i) the radar box clearly didn't pick me up as a road user (perhaps it thought I was a pedestrian, or maybe it ignores everything smaller than a car), and (ii) there was no realistic prospect of a car coming along the minor road in either direction. So I checked both ways carefully (there had been no traffic on that main road for the previous four minutes but there's always a first time), and pedalled across. I still feel guilty about it, but I suspect that I'd have been stuck there for at least half an hour if I hadn't done so.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.