Advice to upping my speed

W3LSH
W3LSH Posts: 17
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, after a little advice.

I started cycling close to 2 years ago by purchasing a Specialized cyclocross tricross comp (albeit I'm a fair weather rider during the dry seasons).

After having the winter off the bike I've spent it on the weights. The leg sessions have definitely had a good impact as during my first few rides I have set personal bests over the end of last years strava times. They were on 700x32's (first few rides this year and all previous rides). I've since bought some 700x23 continental 4 seasons (front at 100psi back 110psi), and shaved a few more seconds off some more my PB's over my last 5 or so rides of 2013.

This so far sounds good, but today for example over my 32mile ride I'm only averaging around 13mph. Up to a third of this was on a canal path which I guess may lose me a little time (some bits Tarmac some compact gravel).

Across the flat I can hit around 18mph, but the hills or gradients really knock me back (which isn't great as the climb up to my house is 900ft which ever way I go!).

If the weathers good I'm hoping to do my 30+ mile ride on the weekends and possibly my 18mile route once a week after work.

Looking at strava etc my average time doesn't seem the best! Any advice/tips?

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    More cycling, less weights (There's nothing wrong with using them, but the people that benefit are doing a lot of training on the bike). Improve your position on the bike. Do you have any weight to lose?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    IF your doing lots of climbing your time is ok and not being all on road is bound to lower it.practice hills as this is where most gains will be found.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • W3LSH
    I do have a small amount of weight to lose. I hit a low last year of 10st 9, my lightest for years (to light really). After a winter on the weights (and no cardio) I'm now at 12st 10 inc a little 'extra' currently around my waste, I'm hoping the cardio on the bike will sort that out. I'm 28 and around 5ft10.

I'm hoping to continue the weights but maybe get a bit more lean by introducing the cycling.

The minimal elevation I can achieve is 900ft regardless of ride distance as I live on top of a hill. Today's route wasnt too bad though at 1,344ft. The elevation on strava shows a pretty much 'valley shape' the first 5 miles being downhill, followed by 16miles flat with a few small hills, then from 21miles - 32 climbing a steady 550ft. The latter isn't steep but really knocks my speed
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    You're obviously training to get faster. I guess all I can recommend is echo elderone as practising hills will definitely improve your overall av speed. Try some of the tips suggested on here, they're all good but the general consensus is mix it up, spin and don't blow too soon! Also, like Simon said, weights are good - but make sure proportionately your cycling takes up more of your training time :)
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    It's not (just) about 'getting a bit more lean'. If you want to go faster, you have to improve aerobically, and that will take time. To be honest, it sounds like the weights are acting as a distraction for you more than anything else.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    W3LSH wrote:
    Hi all, after a little advice.

After having the winter off the bike I've spent it on the weights. ?

So that plan worked then as you are not asking advice on how to go faster.
    Oh, you are......
    I'm afraid the best gains are actually made over winter so you going to have to overcome that little hurdle.
    More bike, less gym.
  • W3LSH
    Maybe I should have said, but the weights are my first priority. I also enjoy the bike so rather than just cruising along, was wondering how I can better myself on it along side the weights.

Advice like the hills are great, thanks. I may leave the 18 mile ride and hit some hills instead?

JGSI - I really don't understand your reply. My plan did work. Prior to an operation, I told myself if all ended well I was going to get myself into better shape, starting with the weights. Hence why it was and still is my priority. I believe the bike may help this and obviously enjoy it as a hobby.
    However I don't recall stating I had a prior plan (that you stated didn't work)? (But I've explained it as it may help others understand what I'm trying to do), as I'm now going out on the bike again I've asked for advice on upping my speed, as per the title.
    Also why would you gain more over winter than summer for example?
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Weights make you strong but cycling makes you fit.

Being strong does not make you live longer. Being fit does.

Your best bet is to spend more time cycling (and yes, hills are probably good) and less on the weights.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    W3LSH wrote:
    Maybe I should have said, but the weights are my first priority. I also enjoy the bike so rather than just cruising along, was wondering how I can better myself on it along side the weights.

Advice like the hills are great, thanks. I may leave the 18 mile ride and hit some hills instead?

JGSI - I really don't understand your reply. My plan did work. Prior to an operation, I told myself if all ended well I was going to get myself into better shape, starting with the weights. Hence why it was and still is my priority. I believe the bike may help this and obviously enjoy it as a hobby.
    However I don't recall stating I had a prior plan (that you stated didn't work)? (But I've explained it as it may help others understand what I'm trying to do), as I'm now going out on the bike again I've asked for advice on upping my speed, as per the title.
    Also why would you gain more over winter than summer for example?

Gym work is a great way of getting into/staying in shape but that's not my priority where it is yours.

You dont have to accept that over winter work has an impact on the following season but for me, it works.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    What helped me out here in Holme Moss territory was lots of practice riding up steep hills ;) My times keep getting better as I'm learning tom pace myself better in the early stages and use higher cadence. Some people go off way in front of me during the early stages of a long climb but I sit there at my own speed and reel them in during the second half. I found I was trying too hard at first then getting too fatigued to be able to keep up a good pace nearer the top. My best hill times come when I feel I'm going quite slow in the first part. I'm also choosing gears that allow me to continue at 85 - 95 cadence.
    Theres nothing as good as practice though.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I have found my speed increase with interval training, I ride at 15-17mph then really push for 1/2 to 3/4 mile, then back down again, I am finding this is improving my speeds
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    The thing is, your saying your average speed is slow compared to people on Strava who most likely priorities cycling where yours is weights. You either need to accept you won't be achieving similar speeds, or drop the weights and spend more time on the bike.

Its all relative, as long you are improving, and you enjoy it, then don't worry what everyone else is doing. Some people do longer rides in one day that I even have time to do in one week, I've no chance of beating them, but I am going much quicker compared to last year thanks to winter training.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • blueneedles
    blueneedles Posts: 74
    i dont know if these will help you but here's summat ive looked into, there probably better how too's but could be of some help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgTFENouM7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXHo3InXt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGGvKt8vWho

appologise if its not what you were looking for
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    lotus49 wrote:
    Weights make you strong but cycling makes you fit.

Being strong does not make you live longer. Being fit does.

Being stronger is associated with lower mortality rates - e.g. http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals ... M168.short Both weight training and aerobic exercise are recommended to improve our odds of staying healthy as we get older http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-conten ... 0Older.pdf This doesn't mean that being strong will definitely make you likely to live longer (it could just be that people who are unwell become less strong because they're unwell) but there is evidence suggesting that it's good for health. And I enjoy weight training :)

Agree though that - to improve speed - more time on the bike is key.
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Weights are also more likely to improve all round flexibility and strengthen a load of joints tha thas to be a good thing (unless your form is bad!). Compund lifts like Squats are also very good for the core which will help the biking.

I've found the best way to improve cycling and running speed is intervals / fartleks.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Some times posted on Strava will also be from people on road bikes, which will have a faster top speed (unless you want to go along at a ridiculous cadence) than your bike.

I did a charity ride recently on my hybrid with a friend who has a road bike. When I hit my top gear, he still had 3-4 to go which give him an extra few mph cruising speed.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Some times posted on Strava will also be from people on road bikes, which will have a faster top speed (unless you want to go along at a ridiculous cadence) than your bike.

I did a charity ride recently on my hybrid with a friend who has a road bike. When I hit my top gear, he still had 3-4 to go which give him an extra few mph cruising speed.

I had to get a roadie when my wife overtook me (downhill) on her new Hybrid and I was spinning out on my cheapo bike.
    I now "spin out" at around 40mph ... (although to get to that it has to be downhill ...!)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Best 2 things you should do to up your speed...

a) buy some mudguards and a shower jacket. MTFU and forget this fair weather nonsense. OK, so no cyclist likes to ride in seriously bad weather but if you really want to get faster and only ride in nice weather then move to Spain.

b) ride your bike (see a). Gym work helps do certain things but if you want go up hills faster then ride your bike up hills more often.

Sorry mate, but it's tough love from me :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And sign up for one of those annoyingly addictive strava challenges where you have to do loadsa miles in a month and have to go out in all weathers because you will fall behind in the standings and you know that all your strava buds will be out so you might as well MTFU and get out there ... Worked for me!
  • W3LSH
    Thanks for the advice all.

I may try and link in the interval training with hill training. There's a small loop I can do taking it easy downhill, then try and sprint back up, recover back down and so on...

I'll also check out the youtube vids above - thanks

I like the MTFU advice :lol::lol:

I'm definitely not aiming for the top of some of the strava leaderboards, there's some real good riders out there (tactfully I'm near the top of a few of the easier ones :lol::wink: ) but I'll certainly be happy to continue setting PB's and knowing I'm training effectively

Thanks again
  • grey_area
    grey_area Posts: 28
    Doesn't that cyclocross bike have a rather upright position? That will probably be adding to your reduced speed against people on out and out racers.