Almost had a crash today

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Was riding in a group of four. We singled out because the road was a little busy and narrow. Had been riding like this for some time and was climbing up a gentle slope at about 15pmh. My shoulders ached a bit so I moved my hands from the hoods to the tops to ease things a little. I was riding 3rd in line, the rider in front of me hit a pot hole and slowed down fast and jinked right. I couldn't get to the brakes fast enough and ended up over lapping my wheel with his back wheel so when he jinked he pushed me right. The rider behind me couldn't slow fast enough and had moved sort of alongside me so I hit his bars with my ass. All had a major wobble but managed to keep things together so no harm done.

So what could we do to avoid the above happening again? I guess if you switch to the tops you may need to drop back further? What else could we do? Were we riding too close? It's nice to keep nice and tight, but perhaps too close? Not sure if the lead rider was able to point out the pot holes that the second rider hit or not, but I guess that would have helped if he had? Maybe just need to concentrate a little harder...

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Nothing wrong with being close if there are no hazards and on hoods/drops. It sounds like a lack of both concentration first and communication second.

You kept it together and learned from it though so it's all good.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    really the guy(s) in front should've warned about the pot hole and changed line early enough to avoid it, if you're leading the group there's a responsibility to look+think well ahead, but keeping concentration is important for everyone else too

on unknown roads, or roads i haven't ridden for a while, i prefer not to follow so close that i can't see ahead, even if the road is narrow try to ride slightly to the side so that you can see ahead, otherwise drop back
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If in the middle of a group - then being on the tops isnt the place to be. Apart from not covering the brakes, you dont have as much control over your bike from the tops when you need to react quickly. As Sungod says though - its the responsibility of the guy at the front to alert the group and steer you around a pothole / obstacle etc. An experienced group will get a call and then all follow the front guy - gentle drift out etc, but no sudden changes of direction.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above as i lack experience on the road I ride at the back and drop back a little so if i'm with riders more experienced than me they take the lead with spotting hazards and pointing them out etc
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    This is what is putting me off going out with the local club, it's hard enough spotting hazards on your own let alone in the middle of a group. Glad you're unscathed!
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"