Padded shorts for DH in the Alps

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

I heading off to Les Deux Alps this summer and was looking at getting some padded (as in protection) shorts

I have narrowed down to the 661 Sub shorts but they have not got a Chamois built in

I am also taking some padded shorts (chamois) and wondered with the DH stuff whether padded (chamois) shorts are needed and weather I could wear the 661 sub shorts over a pair of padded (chamois) shorts?

Thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Erm, well you won't be sitting down much, but if you have nt worn some proper DH shorts before then I suggest that you re not doing full on DH (as in run, uplift, run, uplift etc) and so will be doing a bit of pedalling and sitting so I'd wear whatever pair of lycra/under shorts you use usually. Underneath the DH shorts will be fine
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I never bother wearings padded (chamois) shorts for downhill, there's not much need, and i'd question the need for padded shorts for protection tbh...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    POC shorts have a wee chamois. But as above- I wear 661 Bombers for downhill to protect the bolts in my hip a bit better and I don't really see any need for chamois. For a downhill holiday I'd want to be padded up as well as is practical, not so much for preventing serious injuries, more just for keeping me in good riding shape for a week- a bump on day one could spoil the holiday.

On the other hand... I wouldn't want to wear the same padded shorts for a week of riding, the risk of injury is offset against the certainty of trenchcock.

(having said that, I don't wear chamois at all, I have good saddles and a cast iron arse)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i use these for DH

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59933

i tend to have a pair of Under Armour lycra shorts on over the top to keep them from moving about

since i bought them i haven't crashed once, but when i do crash, i tend to land on my handlebars, so the internal thigh pads on these were a bonus, and the last time i crashed at Antur, i had some cracking bruises on my hips

if you ride dirt tracks most of the time, then they are prob overkill, but anywhere with rocks, i would wear some armour down below