Overshoes vs civilians...

Riggsy12
Riggsy12 Posts: 156
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Civilians (The general public) keep laughing/commenting on my oversocks, anyone else get this? Didnt bother me at first but now its every ride :lol:

Mine...

250520133353_zps86f84af9.jpg

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Hahahahahaha look at him ^^^^ with 2 chunky bananas on the end of his legs!! ;);)

Only teasing - but maybe you could buy some less bright ones next time?? ;)
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    I'm sorry, but the only excuse in wearing these is
    A. You're sponsored by a pro-team and you're doing a team TT
    B. you want motorists to see you

If b, you've obviously achieved the effect so it's overshoes 1 civilians 0
    If not b nor a, the civvies think you look like a goose and beauty is in the eye of the beholder so overshoes 0 civilians 1.
  • seejay
    seejay Posts: 11
    Tell them it's not cool.

Hipster will start drooling all over it in a months time.

Congrats, you've started a trend.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They do look a bit silly in that pic to be honest. Maybe angle does not help.
    They look too much like normal socks rather than something cycle specific.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Look great to me... Match the highlights on your shorts and as they are moving as you pedal really help with visual safety.

Any moving colour is easier for the human eye to see...

So all good to me :D
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I've seen a guy out a couple of times with fluorescent yellow overshoes, and fluorescent yellow gloves. Absolutely can't miss him - for visibility I don't think I've seen anything as immediately eye-catching.

So get some matching gloves.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Pretty much everybody i bump into don't wear overshoes if its dry - only ever wear them to stop feet getting wet and cold in inclement weather. These don't look cool, show off your shoes and a nice pair of socks .
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    They match my helmet and one team kit that I own. Mainly went the fluro route for visibility :idea:
  • Does this mean you were looking for reassurance as opposed to advice. I believe that the Cool Police advise on not wearing too much matching gear and certainly never so that you are in a state of complete one-ness with the bike - unless you are Pro of course. If colour matching were the 'cool' thing to do just think how many would want to avoid leading the Giro/TdF.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You are wearing fluorescent socks over your shoes and you expect non cyclists to think that is normal? :lol:

Probably better to go for black ones - nobody notices them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Riggsy they look cool. As one of the previous post has mentioned it matches the highlights of your shorts. Carry on wearing them if you want. Don't worry about what other people think. :)
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    The cold reality is all male lycra clad cyclists look foolish to the general public. Only the great Mario Cipollini can wear whatever he wants. Get on your knees and pay tribute to the man who brought sex to cycling. cipollini%20%2812%29.jpg
  • Anybody else though noticed that Mario ain't wearing bananas for oversocks. :D
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The cold reality is all male lycra clad cyclists look foolish to the general public. Only the great Mario Cipollini can wear whatever he wants. Get on your knees and pay tribute to the man who brought sex to cycling. cipollini%20%2812%29.jpg

Fooking hell, John Bishops buffed up :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    jordan_217 wrote:

Fooking hell, John Bishops buffed up :D

Hahha I thought the exact same thing mate!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Raining – Water proof overshoes (although this is the beginners section so you lot don’t go out in the rain ;-))
    Winter – Wind proof overshoes or the above if it’s raining/snowing.
    Cold Spring/Autumn – Oversocks or thick socks.
    Spring/Summer – Nothing should be worn over the shoes. Man up.

Black all the way.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not the overshoes at all... I reckon the the unshaven legs is what joe public is falling about over. Hairy legs and cycling is a definite fashion faux pas
  • Oh dear - this belongs in a whole other thread. Shaving just for the heck of it is surely the greatest faux pas...
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Oh dear - this belongs in a whole other thread. Shaving just for the heck of it is surely the greatest faux pas...

This^^^^^^^

Or could be a fetish ? :shock:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.