So embarrassing

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys

I'm in a pickle I have had a problem with a tyre that seems to have kinked, yes I know but that's the only way I can explain it. However I've let said tyre down and reseated it in the rim whilst doing this I managed to pinch the tube so have had to replace that.

Having put new tube in the little screw thing that fastens the valve to the rim does not fit the new tube ?? Surely these are universal ??? Moving I on I pumped the tyre up so far but then noticed the tyre pulling away from the rim where the valve is, why is this happening

I feel such a failure I can't even change a bloody tyre

Hope you guys can help else tomorrows rides down the pan

Phil
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    If you are talking about what I think, the screw thing isn't needed and lots of people leave these off.

Let the tyre almost completely down, wiggle the the whole valve in towards the rim and try to reseat the tyre bead around the valve base. Then part reinflate to about 40 psi, squeeze the tyre edge a few more times around the valve, and pump up fully.

Then again I may be completely misunderstanding your problem.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    There is a technique to fitting tyres, so don't worry - soon you'll wonder why you had so much trouble. It sounds like you're having trouble getting the tyre to seat in the rim. Sometimes this is due to a faulty tyre or misplaced rim tape.

Assuming these aren't your problems:

If you have some talcum powder, dust the tube with it before you fit it. This allows it to slide around inside the tyre a bit better.

Fit the tube in a partially inflated state - you're much less likely to pinch it.

When the tyre's on, go round the wheel rocking the tyre back and forth across the wheel. This helps the tube make its way fully into the tyre.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Follow the advice of Mad_Malx and you will resolve your issue.

If you tighten the nut it will prevent the tyre from seating properly, this only seems to happen (to me) with folding tyres but it is a pain in the butt.
  • Fil6914
    Cheers guys looks like the seating problem is resolved, I didn't push the valve right down to the rim this time which enabled the tyre to go around the tube better so that problem is solved thanks. However the kink in the tyre is still there ? Any ideas why this has happened on a six week old tyre having done under 200 miles ?
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • Fil6914
    44646292970026792c6737423fa4a3a0_zps81aa93aa.jpg
    b9ac7a07ab6d51691c6fdb6cab1c1a11_zps06a873b3.jpg
    468b879a494bb2dace0de07554a778e8_zps70694a9d.jpg
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Fil6914 wrote:
    Cheers guys looks like the seating problem is resolved, I didn't push the valve right down to the rim this time which enabled the tyre to go around the tube better so that problem is solved thanks. However the kink in the tyre is still there ? Any ideas why this has happened on a six week old tyre having done under 200 miles ?

Probably not the tyre but the tube causing the problem (may be twisted), take the tyre and tube off again and retry fitting I suspect the problem will go away.

NP
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Schoolboy error x 2.

First, the valve retaining nut is decoration - I've spent the last 30 years or so chucking them in the bin, where they belong. You don't need it. There'll be someone along soon to tell you how vital they are but think logically, you've got a tube held in place by a tyre and about 100psi air pressure; what's the pokey little retaining nut bringing to the party? Chuck it away.

Second you fitted the tyre round the tube but when you got to the valve you didn't push the valve up to allow the tyre beads to drop under the edge of the valve and into the rim properly. I assume you'd put enough air in the tube to give it enough shape before fitting it into uthe tyre.

Kink? No idea.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Something no-one seems to do nowadays, my Dad told me 45 years ago.

When you fit the tyre, line up the logo with the valve.

That way, if you get a P******e when you find the hole in the inner tube, you can find where to check the tyre for bits of glass, spikes etc to remove them and make sure it doesn't immediately hole it again.

Also, I use washing up liquid instead of Talc.

Cheers

Andy
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Magibob wrote:
    Something no-one seems to do nowadays, my Dad told me 45 years ago.

When you fit the tyre, line up the logo with the valve.

That way, if you get a P******e when you find the hole in the inner tube, you can find where to check the tyre for bits of glass, spikes etc to remove them and make sure it doesn't immediately hole it again.

Also, I use washing up liquid instead of Talc.

Cheers

Andy

I always do this, not so much for practical reasons, it looks pro. I need all the pro I can get.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Fil6914
    Thanks for the replies guys, all comes to all tyres faulty but yeah you guessed not covered by warranty, two new gatorskins on now 60 quid lighter in the pocket too :-( and it spoils the look of the bike but I couldn't ride it the way it was

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Took me three goes to get it right... As for gatorskins, they rock can't wait to get my black and white job off the front. Thought they were stylish but I think they are just stoopid ...
  • Fil6914
    Update on the tyres halfords are going to refund me the full cost of the new ones which is very nice

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    Schoolboy error x 2.

First, the valve retaining nut is decoration

I find them functional - certainly not for decoration (which they aren't very good at!) ;)

It's fine to have your opinion on them but others are allowed their different opinions as well so please remember that! It's fine to be OCD about not liking them on your bike but getting OCD about whether other people use the valve nut is a bit, well, OCD :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......