New wheelset recommendations please...

goldeneyedmonkey
goldeneyedmonkey Posts: 66
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I'm after a new wheelset for my Carrera Fury '09 I like to ride a wider trye, 2.35" Schwalbe (so about a 2.5" in real money), but the Fury comes with pidly little mavic 317 rims (internal rim width 17mm), I've got nothing against Mavic, in fact I think they are pretty good wheels, I would take some Crossmax SX's of theirs easily (21mm internal rim width).

But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a better alternative that they would recommend over the Mavics?

Cheers _Dan.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Budget?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496 for £200 will knock Crossmax's into the proverbial hat

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=227 for a bit less!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    In this months mbuk there's a wheel set group test

I just clicked on one of the links above. I have the superstar superleggia wheels and they're great :)
  • goldeneyedmonkey
    goldeneyedmonkey Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    Budget?
    -sorry, yeah anything up to £350ish (the crossmax's I was looking at were immaculate condition 2nd hand off eBay were £350).

I did look at Stans Crest with a build from Superstar, but I think I was put off by folk saying that it was hit and miss re' the build quality? Is this the case or was that just a few unlucky punters' comments?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Superstar Flows on Switch front wheel just turned to jelly on a ride today. I've had them a while but only done maybe 250km on them.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I've had mine trued once in the last year. I think this was my fault as I snapped a spoke and replaced it myself. And being a complete muppet at anything mechanical I think I over tightened the new one :(
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    My superstar flow build are fine to date. Had them about a month to 2.

Way I see it is if they do start loosening up ill just take them to the lbs and get them retensioned for 20 quid.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    sprite1275 wrote:

Way I see it is if they do start loosening up ill just take them to the lbs and get them retensioned for 20 quid.

That was my feeling too, unfortunately they just lost all tension really quickly, 18km from home. I didn't have a spoke key on my multi tool either. The one I left at home did have!
  • Yeah good point. I think I'll probably go with Superstar then. I can get some new brakes with the dosh saved.

There are a lot of people on the actual Superstar site posting reviews saying that spokes come loose after very few rides. I'll probably just get my LBS to check them over before I put them on my bike. If all the components are good and it's just the build that sometimes suffers I can handle that.

Cheers _Dan.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Mine came loose on the first ride, sent them back, and done about 1000 miles since on them. Only other thing is the bearings, are crap. I just got around to replacing mine but it should've been done a few hundred miles ago.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've smashed my Superstar ArchEX/Trizoid build down alps for the whole of last season (and beginning of this one) and only just needed to true the front wheel this week.

The set of Superstar Flow/Switch I have are spot on too

Dirt100 review;
    http://dirt.mpora.com/fresh-produce/dirt-100/2013-dirt-100-superstar-wheels.html
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I've just had a pair of Superstar Tesla hubs built on Stans Flow EX. Stunning.
    Confidence building
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Superstar probably sell more wheels in the UK that just about anyone else, reasonably they will have a few compaints.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.