Fair weather Cyclist

The_Yeti_
The_Yeti_ Posts: 22
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I have to admit I am what I call a fair weather cyclist in that I will only go out when the weather suits me.

I don't mind if its a bit chilly because I can layer up but I never go out in the rain or when its particularly windy. Is this common or am I a bit of a 'softie' :oops:

Comments

• popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    Erm....

bit of a softie...
    If that makes people a bit of a softie I should think there are a fair few of them, I mean us, around.

I don't mind getting caught in a shower, but if I look out the window and it's p1ssing down, I'll give it a miss.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You people are the bane of my life. Especially at work. I turn up on a sunny morning and the sheds are full and there are queues for the showers.

You should be made to ride on A-roads and in city centres only, leave the nice roads for us paid-up regulars!

This is a joke, OK?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    DesWeller wrote:
    This is a joke, OK?
    Anyone too stupid to realise you weren't being entirely serious shouldn't be allowed out on their own, let alone on a bicycle.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Nothing wrong with being a fair weather cyclist, problem is we don't get much fair weather in Britain.

Personally rain/cold doesn't bother me although I refuse to go out in strong winds and Ice. But then again I'm hard.

Joke too
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    If that makes people a bit of a softie I should think there are a fair few of them, I mean us, around.

I don't mind getting caught in a shower, but if I look out the window and it's p1ssing down, I'll give it a miss.

I'm exactly the same! - If its cold then i layer up and pedal faster, but it its wet and raining before i even set off, then its a no, but if it rains whilst im already out then its tough luck and i just crack on
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I don't go out in the rain however first 2 rides on new bikes it chucks it down, typical!
    As a MTB'r cold doesn't bother me, i'm used to riding all year round through mud, ice, snow whatever I just layer up i actually hate the heat more, wind doesn't put me off unless I think it's unsafe, just rain that stops me.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332

Ditto, that's why we've turbos, tv and the giro on sky+
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Your not alone,wont go out in wet ,snow or ice.If it,s rains when out,tuff titty but wont go out in it on purpose.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Have been out on night rides at minus 4 on MTB, and caught out in major down pours.....but if its raining before I set off...it's a trip to the gym or on the turbo instead :?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • If you lived in Spain/Cote d'Azur would you sit in on the glorious days only to wait for a windy, wet and foul day in order to go out and prove how 'serious' you were. Showers whilst out are fine - grotty weather with no promise of it brightening up and the bikes stay on the hanger.
  • bianchi_tim
    bianchi_tim Posts: 79
    The_Yeti_ wrote:
    I have to admit I am what I call a fair weather cyclist in that I will only go out when the weather suits me.

I don't mind if its a bit chilly because I can layer up but I never go out in the rain or when its particularly windy. Is this common or am I a bit of a 'softie' :oops:

Thank god, I thought it was just me!

Part of the reason I ride a road bike is because I find it really enjoyable - but only when the weather is playing ball. I will not ride if it is raining, super windy (don't mind a bit of wind) or icy - the reason being that I find it unpleasant and it spoils something the hobby I love.
  • The_Yeti_
    DesWeller wrote:
    You people are the bane of my life. Especially at work. I turn up on a sunny morning and the sheds are full and there are queues for the showers.

You should be made to ride on A-roads and in city centres only, leave the nice roads for us paid-up regulars!

This is a joke, OK?

You should leave for work a bit earlier when the weather is nice then :P
    Part of the reason I ride a road bike is because I find it really enjoyable - but only when the weather is playing ball. I will not ride if it is raining, super windy (don't mind a bit of wind) or icy - the reason being that I find it unpleasant and it spoils something the hobby I love.

This sums up my situation exactly! This weekend has been perfect too! :D
  • bianchi_tim

This sums up my situation exactly! This weekend has been perfect too! :D[/quote]

Absolutely, been out twice so far this weekend and am planning a short spin tomorrow :)

For the record I also hate the damage bad weather does to my kit, my buddy cycles in all weathers and goes through bike parts like there's no tomorrow.

Proud and happy to be a fair weather rider :D
  • desweller
    You don't know what you're missing. There's a perverse pleasure to be had from battling the elements.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gbredneck
    gbredneck Posts: 16
    +1 for fair weather riding, just doesnt seem fun getting wet. I think i am getting old!
    Road - Raleigh Airlite 400 : Hybrid - Sirrus Comp 2013 : MTB - Orange Clockwork (2013)
    And still not quick enough!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    +1 fair/great weather cyclist here

haven't got rained on in 7 years :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • grey_area
    grey_area Posts: 28
    As a bit of a winter climber I find comfort to be a relative thing. Yes I can be cold and uncomfortable now but that just makes getting comfy again so much better :) . I'll go out in anything and actually started cycling over the winter.

Won't deny that this weekend has been lovely though - hills or roads? - difficult choice :?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I go out in just about anything, although having wiped out badly last February on a sly patch of black ice I may rethink some of my mid-winter attitudes.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    DesWeller wrote:
    You don't know what you're missing. There's a perverse pleasure to be had from battling the elements.
    I agree completely but your head has to be in right place. It can be a very liberating experience or every god darn bit as miserable as the fair weather brigade think it is. Wouldn't want to do it all the time but if you don't ever do it, you're missing out.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Only things that stop me are, snow/ice, extreme winds and if I am ill, that's it, everything else is an excuse, if you are a fairweather rider please pay attention to whats going on around you and check behing you before meandering out around things in the roads be they potholes or parked cars.
  • bianchi_tim
    Paul E wrote:
    Only things that stop me are, snow/ice, extreme winds and if I am ill, that's it, everything else is an excuse, if you are a fairweather rider please pay attention to whats going on around you and check behing you before meandering out around things in the roads be they potholes or parked cars.

Oh thanks for the advice oh masterful one, I guess as an all weather rider you can float over potholes rather than meander round them.
  • The_Yeti_
    Paul E wrote:
    Only things that stop me are, snow/ice, extreme winds and if I am ill, that's it, everything else is an excuse, if you are a fair-weather rider please pay attention to whats going on around you and check behind you before meandering out around things in the roads be they potholes or parked cars.

:lol:

Thanks for the advice! :wink:

For the record just because I don't go out in inclement weather doesn't mean I am a bad cyclist
  • desweller
    Paul E wrote:
    Only things that stop me are, snow/ice

Where's your spiked tyres?
    extreme winds

Put your makeup mirror away, get in the drops and MTFU for god's sake
    and if I am ill

oh now I am just tired of your whining, haven't you heard of sweating it out?
    , that's it, everything else is an excuse

Pfff. It's 'can't, can't, can't' with you isn't it

This is also mostly a joke
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The_Yeti_ wrote:

Thank god, I thought it was just me!

Add me to that list as well. I don't mind the odd shower, but riding in proper rain is just plain miserable. Icy is downright dangerous, and most of the roads I ride are untreated no matter how cold it gets. High winds, again, there's a point where safety becomes and issue, and I'm more than happy to give it a miss under those conditions. The same applies off-road, although that's more a case of the avoidance of excessive mud. There's a point at which trails become impassable, and I don't get much fun out of going out for a push.
    Mangeur
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    +1 here too. I don't commute, I just cycle for fun / leisure, as such I have a choice when I ride, so I choose to avoid rain whenever possible. Cold is fine, I can wear my long sleeved jersey (or on occasions 3x long sleeved jerseys), but I don't like the rain.

Now if I was commuting to work I'd make sure I was always equipped to deal with it.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I'm a partial softie... If I was planning to go for a ride just for fun, and I got up and it was chucking it down, i'd give it a miss, but if I'm going somewhere and had planned to cycle there, i'd be on the bike whatever the weather. I commute to work regularly and if its raining I get wet - its as simple as that. I've found that skin is surprisingly waterproof and rain seems to cause it no ill effects ;-)

If its very windy, or icy (I tend to cycle on roads off the main gritting routes) I tend to leave the road bike at home and use my MTB, but it wouldn't stop me cycling if I'd got somewhere to go. Even cycled through snow on a trail once, but it was 6 of the hardest miles i've ever cycled - very hard work!!

And I agree with someone earlier about prefering the cold to hot weather - anything above 4deg means no sleeves for me, 10degrees or more and it shorts weather. If you're cold, you're not pedalling fast/hard enough!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"