CAAD10 105/Rival or SuperSix 105

dm06804
dm06804 Posts: 16
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
So the clock is counting down.

I've decided I can't really tell the difference between the Rival and 105 shifting so I don't have a preference for either. I really REALLY love the Supersix 105 Team colors for the 2013 model, I'm just really scared of breaking my first carbon bike.

Should I get the Caad10 rival, and just be happy with the stock bike, get the 105 model in team replica colors and get some nice wheels, or should I man up, get the supersix 105 in team colors, and just upgrade it when the time comes. I'm just really nervous about crashing and breaking the new carbon frame. Someone please convince me the Supersix is a strong frame haha, or give me some guidance. Appreciated! Sorry for the ongoing questions

Comments

• mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    My carbon frame is circa 10 years old, how often do you crash.

The company I work for use a lot of carbon fibre - to strengthen concrete bridges!
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    You could quite easily break an aluminium frame in a crash, so unless it's just the extra expense of replacing carbon that's putting you off, I wouldn't go thinking that aluminium is necessarily a more crash-proof option.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    dm06804 wrote:
    So the clock is counting down.

I've decided I can't really tell the difference between the Rival and 105 shifting so I don't have a preference for either. I really REALLY love the Supersix 105 Team colors for the 2013 model, I'm just really scared of breaking my first carbon bike.

Should I get the Caad10 rival, and just be happy with the stock bike, get the 105 model in team replica colors and get some nice wheels, or should I man up, get the supersix 105 in team colors, and just upgrade it when the time comes. I'm just really nervous about crashing and breaking the new carbon frame. Someone please convince me the Supersix is a strong frame haha, or give me some guidance. Appreciated! Sorry for the ongoing questions
    Carbon frames aren't that fragile, do you race at all?
  • dm06804
    dm06804 Posts: 16
    I'm hoping to do my first race this summer. This will be my first "nice bike" and I wanna get it right the first time. I'm not that experienced to answer your question, but I do want to get a good value, I know the CAAD10 is an incredible value, but I have to admit I think the team colors for the SS 105 is really really nice. I can't afford to replace my frame if I crash though, and that's what I'm scared of happening. I'm not scared of crashing, I'm just scared of crashing and breaking a CF frame. I've read up on it and still can't convince myself that CF frames are really strong and reliable.
  • Supersix every time. You know you'll always wonder if you don't get it! I've got one - they're not that fragile! Cars and aircraft seem to do alright with carbon fibre. If you're that worried get some insurance that covers both theft and accidental damage. Fantastic bike - you won't regret it!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Caad10... weightwise, not a lot in it between this
    uB6rVhA.jpg
    and a SuperSix
    especially when I get round to fitting a Fizik carbon post and my favourite Arione cx

if you are into your racing it is super stiff but doesnt hold you back because of the extortionate cost... cos it dont cost extortionate
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Insurance for 'normal' use doesn't have to be extortionate but I don't know if it covers racing. Sounds like the biggest issue may be how confident you feel on a pricey carbon frame - you might do better to get a frame you could afford to replace, if you do crash and total it, if you would hold back on a more expensive frame.

On the other hand, you may relax quite quickly about a more expensive frame. Carbon frames are pretty strong - my first concern about crashing badly enough to write one off would be with the squishy and hard-to-repair component that's sitting on top of the saddle :)
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    I have a CAAD 10 105 2012 and a 2013 supersix 105 in team colours. Both are excellent ride. Supersix is my summer bike and edges the CAAD 10. Both come with RS10 wheels so if you can't afford to upgrade wheels on supersix go for CAAD and get some better wheels and tryres as well!

I put fizik carbon post and kurve bull saddle on my Supersix as well as kysrium elite Sls. For looks the 6 with the huge bottom bracket and oversized down tube is mint!