Wrong brakes on new bike

SteveH28
SteveH28 Posts: 44
edited May 2013 in MTB general
I bought my Orange Clockwork in January (time flies!!), and was browsing earlier today on Orange's website for a bike for my wife. For some reason I looked at the Clockwork and happened to notice that the brakes that are supposed to be on it are Shimano 395's yet my bike has Avid Elixir 7's.

Should I put up with the rubbish 7's or ask the shop to change them? though as I have used the bike and its been 5/6 months im not even sure if they would.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SteveH28 wrote:
    I bought my Orange Clockwork in January (time flies!!), and was browsing earlier today on Orange's website for a bike for my wife. For some reason I looked at the Clockwork and happened to notice that the brakes that are supposed to be on it are Shimano 395's yet my bike has Avid Elixir 7's.

Should I put up with the rubbish 7's or ask the shop to change them? though as I have used the bike and its been 5/6 months im not even sure if they would.

What are your thoughts?
    sorry but how does that relate to your bike? what was the spec when you bought your bike?

did you buy on line or a shop?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SteveH28
    The bike was bought from a shop who ordered it from Orange.
    The bike has not changed since I bought it. So should be how Orange advertise it on their website.
    The Clockwork does not have optional extras like some other Orange bikes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    SteveH28 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

So, let me get this straight - you have been happy with the brakes for 5/6 months, but now you know it should have come with Shimanos, you suddenly think they are rubbish?

Anyway, your contract was with the shop. The specs on the manufacturers websites are subject to change and sometimes they swap in different components. Your contract is not based on what was on the manufacturers website though, but what the shop agreed with you.

If you shop was advertising with the wrong specs then there would be grounds to ask them to change the brakes or take the bike back. But after 5/6 months, you probably wouldnt be able to adequately demonstrate that they didnt fulfill their contract and it isnt really reasonable to expect them to do much after so long anyway. They could argue that you have accepted the goods and used the bike, brakes included - so it would not be reasonable for them to take back used brakes and swap for new.

They may do something out of goodwill and if your conscience allows, no harm in asking but I wouldnt do it with the expectation of a great deal. Whatever you do achieve, I would count that as good fortune and a nice guesture on the part of the shop.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SteveH28 wrote:
    The bike was bought from a shop who ordered it from Orange.
    so you accepted it as it was as you left the shop.

so you accepted it with the brakes that were fitted.

if you had noticed that the brakes were not as you had expected when you ordered it you could have done something at point of sale but you did not.

not a leg to stand on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SteveH28
    Are Avid Elixir 7's better then?

Figured it was probabaly too late but just wanted to check with you guys. The shop was really helpful helping me choose a bike etc so dont want to go in complaining or anything.

Ive had the bike 5/6 months but havent been out on it much and when I have just light riding. The back brake seems okayish but the front is pants. Will get some brake fluid and if i cant adjust it to work any better then will try bleeding it etc and see if it helps.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    All bikes are subject to change on availability, they can change whatever the hell they want.

And the elixir 7s are excellent brakes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why do you think they need bleeding? It is not a solution for pants.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SteveH28
    Just in case its down to something simple like air trapped in it or something. Just odd how rear brake works okay-ish and the front is terrible.
    For something that could be small i would rather find problem and sort it myself than get the shop to do it.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    As others have suggested Elixir 7s are pretty good brakes. They are in fact medium to high end in the Avid range. Avoids come in 1, 3, 5, 7 and so on, so you are a little way up the tree. 395s are at the lower end of the Shimano product scale.

S if you think you should have had 395s and got 7s I would be happy! You say you bought it at a shop and about 6 months ago right? If you really beleive they are not performing right, why not take it back to the shop and kindly ask them to have a look at it? The bike will still be covered by warranty.

May well have not been beeded in properly. I got a new bike this week (with avid elixir 1s as it happens) and they were rubbish until I bedded them in. Still don't love them like my 596s on my other bike, but a proper bed in has got them working properly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Suggest you post about your pants brakes in workshop and tech, a description of the issue would help....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.