Tour of Bavaria – Spoiler

knedlicky
knedlicky Posts: 3,097
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Pross wrote:
I'm surprised there's been no mention of this as the forum tends to pick up every race usually.
Kristoff winning the battle of the home riders at the moment with wins in the first two stages and second behind Bos
This evening, reading the above about the Tour of Norway and seeing Bos mentioned, and having earlier noticed Kennaugh discussed in the ‘Why No Tour Series’ thread, made me realise there is no thread for the Tour of Bavaria, ….

…. where, as well as Bos and Kennaugh, apparent forum ‘likes’ JTL, Swift, Thomas, and Martin (Dan) are taking part, and a number of other ‘names’ too - possible TdF winners of the future Pinot, Rolland, and Bardet; then Ulissi, Lövkvist, Haussler, Nieve, and Ciolek, Gadret and Demare, Downing and Dobrowski (someone here recently asked what he was up to nowadays), and old-timers Cunego and O’Grady.

Reports of the first 3 stages are here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/bayern-rundfahrt-2013
Apparently they trundled along for a lot of today, at about 35 km/hr, in only about 6 degrees C temperatures.

With the last stage on Sunday likely a sprint finish, it looks like the overall winner will be decided in tomorrow’s TT. There are 42 riders all within about a minute, but it looks between Impey, Malori and Thomas. It’s a bumpy TT, a bit like the mid-TdF one last year.

Comments

• knedlicky
    Perhaps the most exciting competition at the Tour of Bavaria is the one for the ‘most handsome’ rider.
    Last year Cancellara won it but he hasn’t returned to defend his title.

The award is based on voting by visitors to the tour’s website, so here’s the chance to decide who wins one of professional cycling’s most coveted prizes.
    This link is to the page with the first candidate and after voting (giving stars) the next candidate appears.
    http://www.bayern-rundfahrt.com/component/hotornot/?task=show&id=31&source=hotornot

Voting goes till tomorrow evening and the winner is honoured before the start of the last stage on Sunday. Seems he then gets a gingerbread cake, and is kissed by these podium girls. Should get him off to a good start.

8807363459_ef997a9c92_o.jpg

Sorry Tusher, Linus isn’t there this year.
    Above The Cows, don’t forget to get your mum to vote as well.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    knedlicky wrote:

I dropped her on the epic climb over the motorway bridge on this morning's ride. :wink: My mother is actually staying with us for a visit so I actually could get her to vote. I notice Daryl Impey won a stage and that he's quite a handsome chap, so maybe he's getting a vote. Although I'd probably vote for the beer the stage winner gets. If that's not an incentive to push through the pain I don't know what is. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    knedlicky wrote:
    8807363459_ef997a9c92_o.jpg

Sorry Tusher, Linus isn’t there this year.

Which one is AtC's mum?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Saw the thread title and though 'never heard of it' didn't realise it was Bayern- Rundfahrt!

Wonder if I can get a guest spot next year just to win the most handsome rider award? Quite fancy a bit of gingerbread cake and a snog off those Bavarian babes!
  • knedlicky
    Malori won the TT and takes over the yellow jersey. Thomas is now second in the GC, Barta third – Barta also finished third in the TT.
  • knedlicky
    Seems that a Jan Oerlerrich won the ‘most handsome’ award, can’t say I’ve heard of him. It must be a bit like a consolation prize for him - at the start of today’s stage he was 124th of 136 and over 41 mins back.

i3MLR-2cb79606c6.jpeg
    © Bayern Rundfahrt

Looking at how he and the podium girls were dressed at the award ceremony late this morning, it must be pretty cold there too, not just in Italy.