£450 upgrade budget.

jfry94
jfry94 Posts: 392
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi guys, I've floated around this forum asking various questions and have never really put any of the answers into action until now...

i have a 2007 carrera kraken the only parts i have changed are the tyres, chain, cassette and grips.(nobby nic + racing ralph both tubeless ready. sram 971 chain and 950 cassette. After a demo day at my local trail i have decided its time to start riding again.
i have a few ideas for upgrades but i am not sure what path to follow. Any ideas would be great. All aspects of my bike will end up being upgraded at some point.

Idea 1.
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html
Idea 2
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... forks.html
https://www.buybikebits.co.uk/acatalog/ ... Z_UgrVQG4w
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65450
Idea 3
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496 black crest.
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -sale.html
What do you guys think?
If you can think of any better upgrades please link them to me.

cheers josh fry.
cheers
2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
2007 Carrera Kraken

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you considered buying used?
    Wheels and forks are the 2 first key upgrades, although depending on what is fitted now I may add brakes to that.

Why 15mm front axle, QR is perfectly adequate and will save you a wedge of money.

Spending that much money on just a couple of parts will leave the bike with a rather lopsided specification, with basic drivetrain, brakes, headset, brakes and high end forks and wheels....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jfry94
    I would buy used but i would rather buy stuff brand new.
    i though uping the axel to a 15mm thru would be a good idea because im going to upgrade the wheels as well.
    over the next few months everything will get the upgrade treatment.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    Most definitely Idea 3. But I would say that coz that's exactly what I got to upgrade my carrera apart from the brake.

I can tell you the forks perform superb for the money. As for the stans I went for white flow with red hubs, had them for about a month now and seems superstar build quality comes up quite a bit in reviews mine have been fine.
    Still as true as when I fitted them and that's riding red routes and also having quite a high speed crash at one point.

Brake wise if I were you I'd get the deores, they seem to be well regarded and you'll get front & rear for around 80notes.

I love my upgrade choices and pretty sure you would too. Totally transformed the way my bike rides.
  • The Rookie
    If you are going to upgrade everything with new, it would make more sense to save up and buy a new bike to be honest. What will be your total budget?

Reba's are a great fork, lots of choices of good wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jfry94
    My long term goal is a canyon nerve al+ 8.0 or a cannonDale Jekyll. But I'm seriously lacking fitness. I want to upgrade the kraken using this months wages to get it to the point where is a OK bike to ride around my local red route ( queen Elizabeth country park) to increase my fitness. But I'm off on holiday in august so the next couple of wages after this months will be saved for spending money for it, what ever amount that is left will get saved for a nerve. When I get back from holiday I will scrimp and save to get a new bike. Once I have the new bike I would like to carry on upgrading the kraken as a little project,
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • The Rookie
    I'd seriously stick to used parts, you could have decent forks and wheels for circa £200 and have £250 to put towards the new bike as well
  • jfry94
    The more I think about it, the more I probably will go used. As they say you can't polish a turd. Lol
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • The Rookie
    Nowt wrong with a Kraken (link in sig, but mostly XT/XTR, Manitou airs, Supestar wheels)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Set of 2012 Reba RL from Merlin for £255 and a set of Crest's on Switch Evo's from Superstar for £200.

£5 over budget...job done
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jfry94
    I'm tempted to get the recon golds but when I measure the travel I have now its 80mm but the bike radar review states 100mm travel. Would the 120mm recon golds be OK or would I have to lower them to 100mm? If I have to lower them is it easy and would I need any specific tools or oils and greases?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • The Rookie
    The frame will take 120mm (As on the Fury), Kraken should be 100mm anyway from memory, even in 2007.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The frame will take 120mm (As on the Fury), Kraken should be 100mm anyway from memory, even in 2007.

My 2007 Kraken has 100mm XCR lockout fork.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    Would of thought it will fit fine. Fits on my carrera fine and that used to have 80mm rockshox pilots on.
    Let us know what get, personaly I think the golds are a great deal.
  • jfry94
    I'm pretty set on the 15mm thru Axel golds, now its just wheel choice. I really like the look of the east on ea90xc from buy bike bits. But I am a little concerned that the picture shows them having completely white decals and black hubs and nipple, when I search for the wheels all I can find is ones with red decals, hubs and nipples. Has anyone used this website? Could these wheels be fake?
    The reason I want to go for the eastons over the superstar/stans build is the price and the fact that I ador the look of straight pull wheels
    The fact I have 2 about 5 bike shops within a 20min drive means spares should be no issue.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Eastons at buybikebits are £300 for the pair - not bad for the weigh, but not the stiffest set and the hubs are problematic.
  • jfry94
    I though they was 149.99 for the pair after all It doesn't give you a choice to pick the front or the rear. East on have released a kit that should sort out the hubs. I'm going to drop them a email to see if it is a wheel or a wheelset. Is it safe to buy from them as if it is a wheelset?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    It's for the pair, without doubt.
  • jfry94
    So is it 149.99 like the website or 300 like you said. Confused. Have you ever used buy bike bits?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    150 each, 300 pair. Never used them.
  • jfry94
    I'm pretty sure its 149.99 for the pair. He's on ebay and has them for 185 for front and rear. The ea70xct wheels look pretty swish are the ea90 worth the £30 extra over the ea70xct. Buy bike bits accepts PayPal so I'm gonna give them a try.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • jfry94
    i really don't know what to do anymore. Me and my brother have just organised 2 weekends away one to the forest of dean and the other one is to be decided. i'm just going to hire a bike when i get there. As it is my bike gets me round queen Elizabeth country park so don't know whether its going to be worth upgrading it or not. Hopefully if the amount of overtime i get at work stays consistent i should be able to get a new bike by Christmas.

To upgrade or not to upgrade is the question.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken