Chain rub

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I just fitted a new 8 speed cassette and chain to my carrera. I replaced a 7 speed after market jobby that the previous owner put on there. When the smallest rear gear is selected when on the smallest front chain ring the rear derailleur is pretty much flat and rubbing on itself and the chain is also rubbing on itself. This is the same on my sons untouched bike also but his has the original standard 11/32 8 speed cassette and workings on.

When i just replaced my bits the same rubbing is happening. Is this right? if not is the chain too long?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You shouldn't be using small small in the first place, so I think that fixes all your issues?
    Chain size is set using big big, have you done this?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    No i set the length on small on crank and big on cassette just like the guy in the lbs advised.

I have to say though i always have had a lot of chain slap when off road so maybe who ever did the last chain also got it wrong??
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He was wrong. Round big/big missing out the mech plus a full (two bits) link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools