Wheels?

JLap
JLap Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello there,

I have a Lapierre Zesty 214 2011 Mountain Bike and i'd like to change the wheels to something very similar (To save on tyre swapping).

This is what i have now:
http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail. ... =20&pid=60

ALEX SX44
26", 559X20, 490g, ERD: 540

I've never bought any wheels before so i'd like some advice on something that is compatible with the ALEX SX44 setup.

Thanks for any help, Jon. :D

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You want a second set of wheels with different tyres you mean?

The rims don't really matter, the hubs are more important. However... unless you use both exactly the same amount you'll need to swap cassettes or chains, and you'll need to realign your rotors every time. Buying the same hubs will mitigate this to an extent, but there's every chance that you'll still need to adjust brakes. It's more faff than swapping tyres frankly.

If you're looking for some road wheels, just buy a road bike.
  • JLap
    You want a second set of wheels with different tyres you mean?

Yes that's right. I have a spare set of rotors and i've just bought an identical cassette. I just need to know what wheels to buy. I'd get the same as i've got but i can't find any. So, i'm looking for something similar.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Again, if you're doing it to make life easier it won't be - changing tyres is easier.

There's no real need to buy exactly what you have, odds are they're OEM anyway, so you won't find an identical set.
  • JLap
    Thanks, you've been really helpful.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When you swap wheels, it is very likely you will need to re-index the gears and re-align the caliper every time you swap....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.