Mineral oil

houston26
houston26 Posts: 115
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Is all hydraulic mi real oil identical?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/magura-royal-bl ... -oil-50ml/

Would this be ok to mix with red oil in my tektros?

If I were to flush and run new oil then how much would oil would I need?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255218

Just over twice the price and 20 times the amount.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/702/hydraulic-fluid-types

The above makes interesting reading. I have worked with very large and complex hydraulic systems for many years, these systems working at very high pressures (200 bar).

I agree completelywith the sentiments in the article.
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    nicklouse wrote:

Brilliant, I've already got a bottle in the house. Even cheaper. Didnt realise it was the same stuff as power steering fluid
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    it depends as shimano only use mineral oil in there hydraulic disc brakes where as other makes will use the dot 5 fluid as used in cars
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    houston26 wrote:
    Is all hydraulic mi real oil identical?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/magura-royal-bl ... -oil-50ml/

Would this be ok to mix with red oil in my tektros?

If I were to flush and run new oil then how much would oil would I need?
    Holy crap that's expensive :shock:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    swod1 wrote:
    it depends as shimano only use mineral oil in there hydraulic disc brakes where as other makes will use the dot 5 fluid as used in cars
    no they do not. they use DOT3 or DOT4 or DOT5.1

No cycle brakes use DOT5

and just about no cars use DOT5

in fact the only real users are the US military and they are looking at getting rid of it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dumdum
    dumdum Posts: 7
    houston26 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Brilliant, I've already got a bottle in the house. Even cheaper. Didnt realise it was the same stuff as power steering fluid

Just to make sure, it's LHM+, not power steering fluid or normal LHM fluid, the plus is the key ;)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    nicklouse wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

No cycle brakes use DOT5

in fact the only real users are the US military and they are looking at getting rid of it.

Dot 5 is still used in by some racers, but no road cars/bikes or cycles (like you say), and can't be mixed with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 (as I'm sure you know yourself), since it's silicon based, rather than glycol based.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    nicklouse wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

No cycle brakes use DOT5

Just to be clear about your answer. You saying "no they do not. they use DOT3 or DOT4 or DOT5.1" is referring to the second part of swod1's statement and not to the fact the Shimano use mineral oil - correct?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Flaming obvious he is really................
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

Dot 5 is still used in by some racers,

Well the racers must be mental DOT 5 is bloody awful stuff and its only I repeat only advantage is its fire resistantance. Its an absolute swine to bleed properly, you will never get all the air out as the air mixes in the fluid and cars that used it were all known for brakes that were of the brown trouser variety. The only thing its good for is bringing a lovely shine up on your tyres if your showing your car.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap