Insurance?

ryancook
ryancook Posts: 10
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Natwest quoted me £219 per year
Protect my bubble quoted £74

I'm confused as to why they're so different.
My instinct is telling me Natwest should be better, but the other one is obviously attractive price-wise.

Any advice or personal experience on getting insurance and/or using your insurance.

Comments

• spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    Add the bike to your household insurance it will generally be the cheapest way to do it. Could even be better to change house insurance.
  • ryancook
    ryancook Posts: 10
    I dont have any household insurance, never had.

Besides my MBP there's nothing else worth stealing in my apartment
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    ryancook wrote:
    My instinct is telling me Natwest should be better, but the other one is obviously attractive price-wise.

No necessarily, insurance is one of those things where you can pay wildly different prices for the same product.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Which ever you go for, check it's either new for old or market value. Also which replacement suppliers the company uses.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    don't assume the more expensive one will be better cover. i work in insurance and this certainly isn't the case. ask for a policy summary to ensure it covers what you need - locations (in and / or out of the flat), value, replacement (new for old / cash value) and look for any warranties or conditions (eg insurer rated apporved locks etc)

if you have house insurance, it's often better to just keep the bike in the house and that way it's considered as 'general contents' by many insurers (eg direct line - paid out 5K for my bike when stolen in a burgalry under normal contents policy)