Chamois Creme?

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited May 2013 in Road general
Is it just me, or is chamois creme bollox? I've never felt the need. Or is it a case of once I've tried I'll see the benefits?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I seldom use cream unless I am doing about a hundred miles and even then it is Sudocreme which is about a twentieth of the price of some of the more exotic products out there. Having said that, each to their own and if it I works for some then great. If you are not getting nasty uncomfortable lumpy things and or rashes then you don't need it.
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    I tend to use it for any ride over 50 miles and it seems to help prevent any soreness. feels a bit weird when first applied though!!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    It used to be an essential (IMO) when riding with shorts that had genuine chamois inserts (a leather, but you knew that :) ) and indeed I found those types of shorts to be extremel comfortable and never suffered chafing.

With modern shorts and inserts, I think the jury's out. Plus I'm fatter than I used to be, so I use Siopel (a waterproof anti-bacterial similar to Sudocreme) in (ahem) some crevices. Works for me, YMMV.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Nothing really wrong with the stuff, except maybe the price. Myself, I'm of the opinion that all the different brands come out of the same big vat(somewhere). Then the various companies add their version of smell and put it in a fancy bottle or tube.
  • The Rapha stuff smells the bestest
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    The insides of my thighs be red raw on anything over forty miles without cream. I think that was more to do with cramp shorts more than anything but I still use cream for 50+ miles just in case.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I never use it, never needed to. Depends how tough your rear is. My skin has taken years of beatings as a child so has most likely toughened like an elephants.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,922
    goonz wrote:
    I never use it, never needed to. Depends how tough your rear is. My skin has taken years of beatings as a child so has most likely toughened like an elephants.

Ahh Public school eh? :lol:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Nope, strict dad!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I bought some Udderly Smooth last year whilst preparing for my first 100 miler, I can't feel any difference when using it or not.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Useful for many (not 4) hours in the saddle, and racing. If you feel the need of it on your run-of-the-mill Saturday run, you have the wrong saddle, shorts, and/or height/fore aft.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think it's very useful on longer rides and / or multi day events / tours. After hours and hours of saddle time everyones *ss(or something down there) starts to get a hotspot or chaffing. On these longer treks I carry a small tube of Petroleum Jelly or a couple of single use packets of butt balm(a few companys make this). To be honest why wouldn't you carry this. Riding the last 35 miles of a hundred miler with a hotspot can seem like an eternity unless you can smooth things out with a little lube. Doesn't have to be any specific butt grease, just something to help take the sting out. If you let it get sore enough eventually you'll even consider using a glop of grease you found on the road.