Giro Stage 20 - what alternatives ?

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Well I may as well start this now as we all know that whatever happenes on Saturday, it won't be anything like what was originally planned unless there really is a huge surge of global warming.

Sensible and stupid suggestions welcome...

And let's face it, other than Di Luca's crass stupidity, there's bugger all else to opine on.

Knedlicky seemed to have a pretty decent understanding of what may or may not be feasible for that area

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    You know the organisers have already revised the route don't you?
  • dsoutar
    Oh - I was expecting that but looking earlier today couldn't find anything
  • dsoutar
    Ah - just seen the tweet from Giro

http://www.twitpic.com/cst0pt
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Planning to finish at 2304m looks quite optimistic given the current conditions.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dsoutar
    ^
    Given the forecast I can't see them getting much above 1500m

Any mods - there's now two off these topics so pls merge
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    This is their one and only roll of the dice.
    941388_10151418750163247_1106484229_n.jpg[/quote]

Which is what I was worried about. They come up with a plan B that keeps both the start and finish towns, just like today.
    Result? Neither takes place.

The no brainer would have been to move the start 60 odd kms, down to the far side of Bolzano.
    That way, they had the option of taking the same main roads as in that profile, plus a loop that included the Passo di Monte Croce (1636 metres)and the Passo del Zovo (1476 metres),then a long run down into Cortina and up the Tre Croce/Cimi to the finish.
    If Cimi was impossible (as seems likely, atm) at least there would be a couple of climbs in, to beef up what is supposed to be the Queen stage.

Now, if Cimi is impossible, there is no other option, but a possible finish somewhere on Tre Croce, or even in Cortina.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Another morning & first thing to check is twitter to find out what/if any changes are being made to today's route

AnPost Irish Cycling ‏@AnPost_Cycling 2m
    Some doubt over todays #Giro stage, weather conditions worsening in the upper stages, will await developments

Lets hope it doesn't stick & the route does not need to be changed further.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Watching RAI live now. Wow! That's a heck of a lot of snow on Tre Cimi. Lots of talk, but no yes or no. Frankly, I'll be amazed if they get up there. At least the road is clear.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    At least the road is clear.
    For now at least. Conditions seem to be getting worse though. Hope they manage to keep the road clear..