2x10 Set-up - Front shifter still moves to 3 positions.

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My Yeti was purchased with a 2x10 XT drive train. It has never been set up perfectly, but as I spend most of the time in the smaller front ring wasn't to worried about a bit of rubbing on the front mech when I move to the big ring.

Just had bearings replaced and so gave it a nice wash last night ready for the weekend and thought I'd try and adjust the gears a touch to stop the rubbing. Gave the H adjuster a few turns, not much seemed to be happening, but on the workstand it seemed a bit better. Took it for a ride down the road and it was still rubbing so I pushed the shifter a touch to see if that stopped it and it shifted again as if there was another bigger ring. Obviously no ring there so the chain came off.

Should that happen? I had assumed that my shifter would only have two positions. Has the shop fitted a 3 speed shifter in error?
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Have a read of park tools and how to setup gears. Stops have very little to do with it, part from stopping the 3rd gear in a 2x setup using a 3x shifter which is perfectly acceptable
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    looks like you have a X3 front shifter, no big deal as mentioned above as long as you wind the H stop in to prevent the third shift.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • paulbox
    Cheers guys, I will check out the Park Tools site. Assume that it was because I unwound the H stop a few turns in the first place that I was able to make the third shift. I wasn't aware that it could be used for this purpose...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read first, break afterwards.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulbox
    Read first, break afterwards.....
    Where's the fun in that...?
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    haven't XT got a selectable front shifter my SLX one will do either 2x10 or 3x10 there is a little lever underneath the shifter. Of course it is still possible to adjust it out on a normal shifter but you might have the switchable one?
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I agree with the above. Take the shifter off and look underneath it, there may be a small screw ( I know there is with XT) with "3" and "2" next to it. If there is, to change it to only 2 clicks put the indicator into the middle position then turn the screw to "2". If the shifter is in any other position and you try to turn the screw it can damage the whole shifter.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Or even simpler just adjust the limit screw... Why bother messign with a shifter? Seems they have added a feature that has literally no purpose whatsoever.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    It is a feature of the shifter to change it from 3 to 2 positions which literally takes 2 seconds to change. If its there why not use it rather than playing with the limits.

It also means you only need 1 set of shifters for if you want to go upto 3 x 10 or down to 2 x 10. Unlike SRAM which are double or triple specific.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Because you should be adjusting the H limit screw anyway, even if you shift the switch on the shifter to 2x. So it's a waste of time.