New or 2nd hand?

bangbangchicken
bangbangchicken Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

So i'm going to by myself a new bike. my budget is £400. My options are below. My concern is that the Scott is quite of date now and for £50 less I can get a brand new bike albeit a hard tail.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scott-Nitrous ... 43bc248177

Spec wise i'm not sure how they compare and was hoping to get some advise on what you guys think.

thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So do you want a Trail bike (like the Voodoo) or an all mountain bike (like the Scott), If you want an AM Don't buy the Voodoo, if you want a trail bike don't buy the Scott, that of course doesn't answer your new or used question, but that is because here your question is wrong.

If you want a Trail bike you can pick up a decent used one for about £200-250 that would be at least as good as the Voodoo
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for your response,

A bit of both really. It will be mainly used on trails however there will be instances where it will required to go that little bit harder when riding with mates who are more advanced. This will involve down hill sessions with small/medium jumps and drops.

Its difficult for me to know at this stage because its my first MTB since I was 14 (now 27) and i'm not sure whether i've got the bottle for it nowadays where as I used to be fearless.

How do you think the spec compares? Is the Scott worth that money?
  • The Scott sounds like overkill.... The voodoo's are good bikes but the spec will be lower as it's new. What do you think of this: viewtopic.php?f=40089&t=12922393

I've got it up for sale and with a few possible spec changes i'd be able to bring it down to 400ish quid. If not my bike, lots of fs trail bikes with 130mm travel are out there at this price. It handles everything pretty well tbh :D

Hope this helps!
    email me at shahkrishan@hotmail.com if you want anything or more info
  • Thanks man, but well out of my price range. Only looking at spending between £3-400. How do you mean by overkill? to big spec for what I need? The Scot is quite old so my concern is that the Bantu is better value for money. There will certainly be some jumping involved but not huge amounts.

With both the Bantu and Scot being available local to me it pretty much comes down to a choice of these 2 however I could really do with some advice on which one would suit my needs more. I must say the appeal of having a new bike is kind of swaying me.

thanks again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you don't know what the Scott is good for it's not for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes but if its a good deal then I would buy it over the Bantu so I can at least try and hit harder trails.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Scott is an AM bike, not a trail bike, if you want to hit harder trails, look for a decent trail bike, the Scott is heavy and will be a killer uphill (Modern trail bikes are much better, but this isn't modern).
    £400 will get you a decent 120-130mm Trail bike in useable condition.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The ebay bike will no stay at 400 (probably). I would ignore that Scott.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Why not try and save a little bit more and go for a Hoodoo? Very good bike for the price...
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Or get a 2nd hand hoodoo ;)