TRP Hylex

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
TRP have just revealed a hydraulic disc system for single speeds. Looks like the answer to my prayers.

Not cheap, but then few things from TRP are and it is the first of it's kind.

Looks like I'm putting the alfine hubbed Civia Bryant on a crash diet this summer and getting rid of the BB7s.

Thought others might be interested in these Hylex brakes though for winter single speeds. I've emailed the UK distributor to find out when they will be available in the UK or to order.

Edit: available on back order from Upgrade bikes and supposedly due at the end of May. £125 per wheel :eek: but that is for the full kit, so levers, brakes, discs, cables and fluid.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    la la la la la *fingers in ears* la la la la la

I did not see this.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Link?

I've never come across a hydraulic brake that wasn't a full kit apart from when looking for spares.

£125 isn't that expensive, cheaper than XTR for example.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    Link?

I've never come across a hydraulic brake that wasn't a full kit apart from when looking for spares.

£125 isn't that expensive, cheaper than XTR for example.

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... /TRP-Hylex
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Surely you'd only bother on the front anyway with rear left as before?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    Surely you'd only bother on the front anyway with rear left as before?

Maybe, but then I'd get all OCD about matching levers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    352g holy schmoly, what are they made from, Tungsten? My ST-XT's 401g and my non shifter 283g!

If you can find them, you can match old Magura trecking levers for HS33 hydraulic rims to a Magura disc caliper....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    The bike they will be going on isn't particularly svelte so I've got no worries about weight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    edited October 2013
    Only 5 months later...

2E60BFE7-ED76-418B-BD0C-B69B9D3A2CA3-2163-000002340EE3ADA5_zps9050f4ae.jpg

First package from Taiwan sent by slow boat was lost, but after 20 days I told them and next day they sent replacements by 48 hour courier. Brilliant service from chn_chou (TW Cycling Outlet in Taiwan).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    Edit: Double post
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Nice. Are they fitted yet? Hurry up you need them for Saturday. :-)
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Nice. Are they fitted yet? Hurry up you need them for Saturday. :-)

Picture taken approximately 2 minutes after I bounded down the drive to rip the parcel from the hands of the delivery guy, so not fitted yet.

Annoyingly, I think I may be lacking rotor bolts; Don't think there are any in the box and there are none on my hubs.

Mrs A thinks I'm working from home and have the door shut so the kids won't distract me, but I'm actually reading the fitting destructions.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What rotors do you have, I assume they are all the same and have some at home (from an unused 6-bolt avid clean sweep 2 rotor), if you need.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    rubertoe wrote:
    What rotors do you have, I assume they are all the same and have some at home (from an unused 6-bolt avid clean sweep 2 rotor), if you need.

Thanks for the offer, but I needed a hydraulic bleeding kit so I've just ordered some at the same time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Asprilla wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but I needed a hydraulic bleeding kit so I've just ordered some at the same time.
    Do they use DOT brake fluid or mineral oil? if there's nothing special in it send it back, buy a syringe from a chemist for about 50p*, some windscreen washer tubing from me for pennies and make your own.

* Unless the daft old bint behind the counter thinks you look like a junkie.
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Do they use DOT brake fluid or mineral oil? if there's nothing special in it send it back, buy a syringe from a chemist for about 50p*, some windscreen washer tubing from me for pennies and make your own.

* Unless the daft old bint behind the counter thinks you look like a junkie.

Mineral oil.

I might just take you up on the offer.

Having read in instructions, it appears they are bled and ready to go so not required at the moment. Depends how much excess hose there is and whether it needs chopping.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Pm me your address and i'll post them anyway, i use centerlocks so have no need for the the bolts.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills