Mileage targets

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I started the year aiming for 4000 which was doubling last years efforts, realising I haven't done as well as I had hoped so far (just passed 700) but more turbo than last year. I now think by en of September I need to average 150 a week to catch up which I think will be stiff going. Wondered how everyone's mileage and targets are going?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    122 rides for the year thus far and 2920 miles covered - now tapering somewhat for summer (???) triathlon season starting with the Outlaw Half-Ironman a week on Sunday!

Managed to ride most of the winter and hoping that equation of winter miles = summer smiles rings true.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Shite, due to the weather and sickness but I'm starting to drag it back.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    I've done 1700 miles so far, so realistically looking at 4000 - I do 60 commuting miles but have been topping that with a couple of 8-10mile lunchtime rides and occasional longer ride home, I can't consistently get the longer rides in at a weekend with young family/everton season ticket but I've done a couple of sportives and fit them in when I can.
  • blueneedles
    blueneedles Posts: 74
    im heading for 1000 miles this year, currently 300 in but heavy winds,rainy weekends and rubbish working hours im struggleing to get decent runs out. :(
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    hoping to average 100mile a week as often as possible in the better weather(as in no snow/ice).Bit of catching up to do though.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    elderone wrote:
    hoping to average 100mile a week as often as possible in the better weather(as in no snow/ice).Bit of catching up to do though.

You confident we will get better weather?....I thought May would bring better commuting weather but today its wet, very windy and cold in Leeds.....still heading out at lunchtime though :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Aiming for 4k miles this year having done 3k+ last.
    Started off well and ahead of target (riding in winter conditions helped!) but now the mudguards are removed I'm lacking in motivation somewhat.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I haven't set myself a mileage target this year. Particularly because my training is race orientated (short & hard).

Having said that, it'd be nice to beat my mileage from last year, which was just over 7000.

It may require quite a few holidays abroad though, with the way things are currently going. :)
  • alarustic
    alarustic Posts: 24
    I did 2000 last year, so upped it to 2500 target this year. Now that I look at it that wasn't very ambitious!

Following my completion of a 100 mile ride earlier this month I am on target to do 1000 miles this month. If I achieve that I will be happy!

Basically the switch from MTB to Road Bike earlier this year made this possible.
  • Myself and a few workmates have set up a challenge on endomondo for most miles before the year end.... so my target is simply 1 more than my mates :lol:

The 4 of us are new to cycling apart from the odd fair weather rides/ mtb and this challenge has motivated me like nothing else.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I started cycling in april last year, and got to just over 5k miles by end of year. Set myself a goal of 6500 miles for this year and i'm curently sitting at 3468 for the year - got through the 50% target 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Did 950 miles last month and on target to get a further 1000miles this month.

Strava, and cycling on telly, certainly help with motivation for me - and a good mate has just got a bike so i've been doing some extra easy miles that i wouldn't normally have done.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    socistep wrote:
    elderone wrote:

You confident we will get better weather?....I thought May would bring better commuting weather but today its wet, very windy and cold in Leeds.....still heading out at lunchtime though :D
    :D Wishful thinking.Been terrible here today with stupid stong wind etc.Plus got a virus in the throat so the cycling gods are playing there stay in doors hands just now.Think a goat sacrifice is in order to appease them. :D
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Myself and a few workmates have set up a challenge on endomondo for most miles before the year end.... so my target is simply 1 more than my mates :lol:

The 4 of us are new to cycling apart from the odd fair weather rides/ mtb and this challenge has motivated me like nothing else.

Same here, except I'm 165 miles behind! :(
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I set a target this year, just short of 3000 miles. Around 1000 now which is slightly behind where I had hoped to be. Need to up the mileage a little next month as I have a 100 mile club run in July. I remain confident of two things. 1) I will achieve my target and 2) we will get a summer (even if it's only on 14th July for the club do).
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Started cycling at Christmas and year to date is 1400 miles. Target was 3000 for the year which I now think I will do. The longer distances over the last month are really beginning to pay of and am now up to 60 mile spins. Average speed is still low but hope to improve over the summer.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Been cycling properly, ooh, a year next week and did over 2500 recorded miles last year - but I only started recording 3 months in.
    So this year I set a 4000 mile target on garminconnect and have already done more than 3000 - so I've a second 6000 mile target and am exceeding the target for that also at the moment. Since August last year I've done at least 500 miles every month and usually more than 600.
    I have gotten myself into audaxing circles though - that means interstellar mileage and its currently ramping up into the big league 400 and 600 km bracket.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    This being my first full year, I set a target of 4000 too!
    At 1700 now I should just make it at 3 rides per week, unless we have prolonged spells of strong winds or really early snow! :cry:
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    More likely to get really late snows given the weather this year. :roll:
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    1300 miles so far this year. No particular target, just want to get fit enough for the longer rides.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    260 hours of cycling and 3323 miles so far this year. managed to get out through all the rubbish winter weather but have lots of daytimes to ride in. i blame these flipping strava challenges ...
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    Target for me is 2000 for the calendar year, currently at 746 so pretty much on schedule :)
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm thinking that you have ignored something here. Riding a certain amount of miles, while admirable, is not really good training. Now, if all you want to do is ride a bunch of miles then have at it. Most likely you'll get fit enough but after awhile you simply won't improve. Improvement(riding / racing faster, climbing better) is not about grinding out mega miles. It's about the quality and intencity of the rides you take. The quality of rest you get. The quality of nutrition you get.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    dennisn wrote:
    It's about the quality and intencity of the rides you take. The quality of rest you get. The quality of nutrition you get.

oh i understand all that, at the start of the year i basically set out a few goals, one was to ride 4000 miles basically it was more a thing to get me riding say when its raining etc. i have tried to get consistancy to me riding and build a base.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012