Glossop to Ladybower - Snakes Pass

HenryTheHoover
HenryTheHoover Posts: 126
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Been exploring further and further out of my fair home town of Sheffield and trying to tick off some hills. I haven't as yet cycled in either direction any of the stretch from Ladybower to Glossop I.e. Snakes pass.
I drove along it today and really noticed how much narrower the road is on this section compared to the Ladybower to Sheffield bit was which I cycle on regularily. I am also aware of the kn@b head drivers it seems to attract determined to squeeze an extra ten seconds off their commute whilst pretending they are competing in the Monte Carlo rally.

The thought did occur to me. " Is it really worth the risk / hassle ? "

Just wondered what other peoples experiences of, or thoughts, might be on this?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    I have done it many times... my advice is to go early in the mornings at weekends, the above mentioned tend to be hangover in bed. Choose a day that is not too windy
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Did it last Bank holiday and the traffic was pretty light in the morning up to around noon.
    Probably psychological but I think its probably easier to go down snake, and back home over woodhead (though I'm sure someone will tell me to just MTFU :oops: )
    The lads I was with got into the mid 50mph bracket coming down, but being more of a coward and on my first decent, I hung back in the low 40's. With little traffic I stayed more central in the road, and the tarmac was far better than I remembered (I wouldn't like to be forced over near to the barriers though!)
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I rode Ladybower to Glossop and straight back, also last bank holiday. Traffic was really no problem although there is a lot of debris on the verges...

(Nowhere near 50mph anywhere, http://app.strava.com/activities/52696989)

Paul
  • Yes as others have rightly said, go out early Saturday or Sunday morning and you should be finished before the major traffic kicks in.

I did holme moss & snake pass last saturday and the weather was terrible. You could hardly see anything on top of snake pass as it was foggy and raining. The route up Holme Moss from Holmfirth to Ladybower is very tough indeed. Probably the hardest climb i've done since taking up cycling. Very satisfying when your going back down the other side though !
  • nickyboy zz
    nickyboy zz Posts: 82
    Live in Glossop so this is my local hill and I ride it a lot.

Midweek avoid 7am-9am and 4.30pm-6.30pm. This is a major commute road Manchester to Sheffield so it is busy at this time and full of drivers in a hurry
    Weekends Saturdays usually OK, nice weather Sundays get busy from about 10am onwards

The only stretch where you need to keep your wits about you is from the Snake Pass Inn to the point where you get to the very top of the Ladybower. This will take about 15 minutes. Having said that I find 99.9% of drivers on this route to be very considerate of cyclists
  • Its good to have a possitive response chaps. I did do a search before posting and the threads I read did have a few negative opinions. I enjoy the run up to Ladybower from Sheffield which I do probably once a week. I would like to complete the next section especially as I could man up a bit and try a Strines- Holme Moss - Snake Pass loop at some point

Thinking about it a bit more why would the drivers be any worse than the ones I am used to at my end of the road? I think it is the fact the road narrows after Ladybower and gets quite bendy that has made me a bit hesitant.
  • Trickle
    Trickle Posts: 22
    I did Sheffield to Holme Moss and back via the Snake for the first time last week. 65 miles and first time past 50.

No real problems with cars on the Snake at the late 5pm ish time I did it last Sunday. I'd prefer not to have been going so slow on the sharp blindish type left hand bends from Glossop. And I wouldn't dream of trying it during rush hour. However you can really keep in and around to the left of the white line so you don't feel you are impeding too much (and causing a hazard) cars that might only see you once they have committed to the corner.

On the descent towards Ladybower there are no traffic concerns. You won't really drop below 15mph at the slowest and will spend most at a fair speed. I probably saw about 3 cars tops before the final flat section to the reservoir.

Holme Moss didn't disappoint. Strava reckons I hit 50.3mph down the other side, and whilst possibly a glitch, my cycling shades have never been pressed flat glued against my contacts when I've hit 45mph before. No stupidly steep sections but enough to worry my noob legs for a short bit a 3rd from the end. Then around the second corner from the finish it starts to get less steep and you gain speed and confidence again.

Much harder was the 3rd of 4 cat 4 climbs I did on the way out of Sheffield to Langset - Strines. Its no Winnatts Pass but don't underestimate it and think the hard bit is over after the beginning 22% part. Do not go via Higher Bradfield if you want to get to Holmfirth fresh!
  • I tried to do my first ever 50 miler taking in Winnatts via Loxley - Higher Bradfield - Strines two weeks ago. I have to admit my legs felt it before I even got to Winnatts. They just wouldnt turn after I got so far up and I was too knackered to unclip. I just keeled over still attached to the bike into a ditch by the road
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Do it all the time, why dont you do the strines, dead quieter and way more steep, over 20% in places.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • timmys7
    timmys7 Posts: 10
    Well set off with three of my mates from pontefract to holme moss, fantastic climb but hard, not much traffic though came back on the snake pass on route back through pennistone.perfect conditions for cycling long may it continue! :D