XC Specific Bike Trepedations

bolingbroke
bolingbroke Posts: 32
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've made the decision to go for a 29er hardtail from my old full susser (2010 Specialized FSR Expert, the only mountain bike I've ever had, ridden 1500km on it), I'm pretty happy with that decision but I'm slightly worried how far I'm taking the idea of getting a more efficient bike.

I've been looking at bikes like the Cube Reaction GTC Race and Kona Big Kahuna. I just need to know how much stress these kinds of XC specific bikes take and am I going to hate changing from a full susser to a 100mm travel hardtail with XC geometry.

The bike will be getting used mostly around local woods and fells which are perfectly suited for XC bikes but it will undoubtedly be brought along to red graded 7stanes and Lake District trails which I live in close proximity to, and I do crash from time to time.

The alternatives I have looked at are bikes like the Saracen Zen or Genesis Mantle.

Help me out bikeradar. I might be making a big mistake.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What's made you decide on a 29er hard tail?

It's just I find that more and more people are swapping their bikes based on a magazine telling them that they 'need' it. Rather than riding one of their mates bikes, or trying something at their LBS.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bolingbroke
    The only reason I got a full suspension bike in the first place was because a mate who brought me into MTB sold it to me. I hardly make the most of the benefits. I don't find travelling at speed over jagged rocks and roots fun. I like swooping down through berms, small jumps and enjoy the achievement of climbs. My bike just drains away most of the energy on climbs. I need a new bike, I can't see the benefit of getting another full suspension bike.

Now to add to that, 80 percent of my biking is done for fitness. Hence the idea of an XC bike I can blast around the local area but stand up to the odd day at a trail with friends.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    I cannot comment on the bikes you mention. But I do have a Orange P7, Pivot Mach 5.7 and Niner EMD.

The niner says it has the EMD is a very capable bike but no an out an out XC race bike. It is a brillian bike to ride and very capable. It is a not a full blown trail bike like the P7 or Mach 5.7 but can take a lot of stick. I can ride the EMD all day without any problems.

I used to have a 26" HT stumpy and that was very much a race bike and kicked the cr@p out of you if you didn't ride it in race mode.

If I was you I would be looking at a more Trail style 29er. The clockwork orange springs to mind.

But that said, i know people tht ride race bikes all the time and love them.

What I would say is to demo the bikes. That's the only way to tell.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I'd try and find a 29er ht with a slacker head angle. Say less than 70.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, I would look at a more trail friendly 29er, weight will be little different, you can get pretty much the same riding position if you choose but it will be more of an all rounder.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bolingbroke
    Is the Cube LTD Pro 29 a step in the right direction from the reaction?

http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/c ... LTD-Pro-29

I can't get over the amount you get for your money with the Cubes. The EMD is much steeper compared with them.

If not what trail bikes would you recommend which have a similar riding position?
  • spacedog
    I'm no expert in angles etc.. But there is more than the head angle in the mix when it comes to ride. For example I know my Pivot has a slack head angle on paper but because it rides high on the rear travel it works out about the same as a Five etc...

Also look at the compliance on the back end. Race bikes tend not to give much which takes it out of you.

The Cubes are great value.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • spacedog
    I've not ridden one but I like the look of them

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork_pro/
  • bolingbroke
    The review for the Raven sounds like it would be perfect but I'd still be concerned about the carbon frame. I might go for the Cube LTD Pro and see if I might shorten the stem.