First bike for a newbie

HJM
HJM Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Good evening chaps,

New to the forum and MTB in general. Have always been a 2 wheel lover from motorcycles to push bikes.

I just need to specific advice on what bike i should buy.

Im a poor student so im on a strict budget. The type of riding will be more cycle paths with the touch of off-road riding, but nothing extreme, not even in the slightest.

I was looking at decathlons Rockrider line, and need help choosing between the 5.0/5.1/5.2

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/rockrider

I have a mate who is well into MTB and failed to find a similar spec/better spec then the 5.2 rockrider for the same price.

I guess what im asking is, is the 5.2 is sensible choice? Can i get away with a cheaper bike, say the 5.0/5.1, what are the disadvantages of the 5.0/.1 to the 2.

If i take the cheaper bikes off-road will they snap in half? Im well out of my comfort zone here so i apologize for my somewhat stupid questions.

Spending £250 for a bike to take me to uni (3mile round trip) and the occasional cycle path/forest ride/off-road sh!t, seems a bit unnecessary, but i thought i would sign up and ask you fine gentlemen.

If i grow out of the 5.0 it will be a waste of money so coughing up for a better longer lasting bike will be worth it i guess :roll:.

Thanks again guys, sorry for reading my dribble, and any help is greatly appreciated! :wink:

Comments

• hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    of all the bikes,the 5,2 is the better,for the same money you may find a 2nd hand decent hardtail for that kind of cash,i bought a cheap and nasty bike for my 1st one,never a "mountain bike" in its life,got 2nd hand bike that was miles better,got the bug,trail centres and the local xc stuff and have went from there,happy hunting
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie