Just Ridden A Road Bike For The First Time

gubble
gubble Posts: 10
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone

As per my previous post i'm very new to this. I've owned a mountain bike as a child and got another very cheap (£11 on ebay) mountain bike about 3 years but always lusted after a road bike.

Finances are a bit tight so took a gamble on an early 90's Raleigh Scorpio advertised locally. It needed new tyres (fitted this evening) and the brakes adjusting however I couldn't resist the urge to take it out for a quick spin around the block.

I can't believe how much of a difference there is compared to my mountain bike, it's so bloomin fast and focused. Can't wait to take it out properly and put a few miles under my belt. Really happy and motivated.

Am i mad for starting off with a 20 year old steel framed racer?

Comments

• wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    Whatever works - if finances are tight just go for it...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not mad at all for getting an old road bike. Hope you have many more hours of fun on it :wink:
  • mtbboy101
    mtbboy101 Posts: 62
    No. still riding a 25 year old steel road bike here. it's great, enjoy, and welcome. Expect finances to get even tighter now :)
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Type of bike is of piffling importance compared to getting out and enjoying cycling.

A lot of riders swear by steel anyway.

If the bike has been stood for a long time just make sure everything is tight and all the bearings are good before you ride in anger.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    gubble wrote:

Absolutely not. I bought a 30 year old MBK this time last year, which I used for 6 months until finances allowed me to upgrade. I miss it! You get more satisfaction overtaking the carbon crowd. And you worry less about damage in the bike sheds at work.
  • gubble
    gubble Posts: 10
    Thanks Guys !

Looking forward to this weekend and having a proper ride out.

I'm sure i'll have lots more questions or thoughts
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    gubble wrote:

You were mad if you didn't! :D
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Nice one, the number one thing to remember is, it's all about the pure enjoyment of riding. Times, fitness, rapha jerseys, helmets etc. are all good, but it's all about the fun.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    I rode a sportive recently and the 2 of 1000's of bikes that stood out were both old and steel.

1) Holdsworth
    2) Mick Grey (recently refurbished and stunning)

Not only did they bring a fine display of bikes but also mesmerising souplesse.