Saddle sizing?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I need to buy a saddle for my first build. The size 155 for example, I assume that is the distance between the rails?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    No - its the width of the saddle from edge to edge.

You need to find one that can accomodate your sit bones.

Because everyones ass is different try this - place some kitchen foil on a chair and sit on it - rock forward and backward a bit to mimic riding - your sit bones will make 2 indentations - measure the gap bwteen them and see which saddle will accomdate your size.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Infact just doing a search on here - theres actually a link to saddle sizing

Link

more detail than my rambling old cobblers. :lol:
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Cheers you beautiful man
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No - its the width of the saddle from edge to edge.

You need to find one that can accomodate your sit bones.

Because everyones ass is different try this - place some kitchen foil on a chair and sit on it - rock forward and backward a bit to mimic riding - your sit bones will make 2 indentations - measure the gap bwteen them and see which saddle will accomdate your size.
    interesting old cobblers :wink:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    When I recently bought a saddle from a Specialized shop I sat on a piece of memory foam, and the distance between my sit bones was measured. However they then turn over the measuring device to read the table on the back to decide the saddle with. I have the 143mm, BUT that is NOT the distance between my sit bones, so the two figures and not the same.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    rafletcher wrote:
    When I recently bought a saddle from a Specialized shop I sat on a piece of memory foam, and the distance between my sit bones was measured. However they then turn over the measuring device to read the table on the back to decide the saddle with. I have the 143mm, BUT that is NOT the distance between my sit bones, so the two figures and not the same.

Thats because saddles usually come in 3 standard sizes 130, 143 and 155 - unless you're vanessa feltz your butt should fit with the bounds of those saddle sizes